Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mitsubisihi 5,25 (MF501B-318M) and Amiga?

Default Mitsubishi 5,25 (MF501B-318M) and Amiga?

Hi and thanks for reply in advance
    Is there an option to connect Mitsubishi MF501B-318M (5,25 floppy drive) to Amiga? Especially as external drive?
    Maybe You also have a manual for it drive, or knowledge how to setup it? Mine is missing even terminator pack and don't known which one to use, if I will have to connect drive as the only one.
    Last edited by pgru2; September 29th, 2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: type error

Copied this from Internet after using Google:

The differences between PC floppy drives and Amiga floppy drives are as follows:
    PC floppy drives normally answer to drive select 1 (DS1), internal Amiga drives answer to DS0
    pin 34 on the connector is used for disk change on the PC, disk ready on the Amiga
    pin 2 on the connector is used for high-density detection on the PC, disk change on the Amiga

So modifying a PC drive so it works inside an Amiga involves :
    switching the drive to DS0 (on some drives this is a jumper, but on most drives you'll need to desolder the DS1 pads and bridge the DS0 pads)
    re-routing pins 2 and 34
    grounding the HD detection signal
    You'll need a PC drive which exposes the disk ready signal somewhere on its PCB.

This should help IMHO.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Thanks.

If anybody is interested, after spending some time reading various Mitsubishi manuals(still not found exact for this model) it look like:
    - I can change the number of drive without problem by jumper( there are from DS0 to DS2)
    - it look like DC jumper give disk change on pin 34 and SR (now without jumper) give disk ready (so called standard ready?) on pin 34, so it is just switching the jumper
    - drive is 360KB(?) so don't give HD signal
    - re-routing pins 2 to disk change is the Problem, I now don't have idea how to do it, and it may require some soldering... However I still don't known what in Mitsubishi drives RI stands for...

BTW:
    Are You always sure that disk change signal is "must have" (especially rerouting it and soldering)?
    In PCFLoppy2Amiga.lha there is PCFLoppy2Amiga.guide that have in "5.25 inch 880 kb disk drive" :

"This drive is ment to show to the system exactly the same as the 3.5 inch 880 kb
    drive. So the scheme is the same. However it is sometimes not possible to get a
    signal from the drive about wether or not there is a disk in the drive. So there
    is no point in make the DISKCHANGE part of the interface of the 3.5 inch drive.
    You can use the diskchange <DEVICE> command in a shell to make the amigados
    system update its buffers."

I used the trick for converting some drives and it worked. But having to many computers and too less time I got rid of all of my Amigas and peripherals two years ago. And I still have too many
    So I'm afraid I cannot help you further.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Very old drives like that one normally don't need any modification, as the Amiga followed the standards and old drives can be jumpered to use the standard pin-out as well. The hardest part is finding the jumpers or knowing how they work - because that is often not obvious.

Blog Entries

From manual

(RI) = Index pulses gated by ready signal
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Blog Entries

My next question would be why ?

If its just for the hell of it then

But nothing published for the Amiga was on 5.25 and a Gotek is so much easier anyway.
    Just seems a bit perverse, but hey we like that !
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    From manual

(RI) = Index pulses gated by ready signal
    Is there a scan of manual available, if You had exact for this model?

BTW: about floppies. Just if You known me well, I am very big fan of floppies. I known that in case of Amiga, with WHDLoad and some harddrive/SDCard You can probably not use floppies at all, however...
    Connecting 5,25 floppy to Amiga, may not only add to usage of my favourite floppies(5,25 Atari 8 bit format), but maybe help with some other computers like Elwro 800 JR, especially in case, when Catweasel
    PCI equipped machine may have problems. Even if I still not connected the drive, I spent time to extend my (maybe basic) knowledge about floppies.

Blog Entries

Thats good then

Spent quite a lot of time restoring several floppies myself.

I got the reference from the -0 website http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manu...on%20Notes.pdf
    Current fleet