Image Map Image Map

Thread: Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB Decent Price

Blog Entries

Default Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB Decent Price

Picked up a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB 2.5 SATA SSD for $116.59 incl tax at BestBuy this morning. If anyone is looking it beats the slightly older 860 current prices by $10-$20 just about anywhere. This one goes in the Crosshair VI Hero W7 gamer.

Reads @ 560 MB/s & writes @ 530 MB/s
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

If you were going for speed, you should have gone with an M.2 SSD. They're about the same price as a SATA 3 SSD but have 3-5x+ the performance.

Like this one is just a bit more: https://www.newegg.com/western-digit...82E16820250110

And has 3470 MB/s read and 3000 MB/s write speeds on the 1 TB model.

There's no real reason to go with a SATA SSD anymore, unless you have a motherboard without M.2 slots. I don't think the engineering team that designed the SATA 3 spec ever envisioned it becoming a huge speed bottleneck as quickly as it did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If you were going for speed, you should have gone with an M.2 SSD. They're about the same price as a SATA 3 SSD but have 3-5x+ the performance.

Like this one is just a bit more: https://www.newegg.com/western-digit...82E16820250110

And has 3470 MB/s read and 3000 MB/s write speeds on the 1 TB model.

There's no real reason to go with a SATA SSD anymore, unless you have a motherboard without M.2 slots. I don't think the engineering team that designed the SATA 3 spec ever envisioned it becoming a huge speed bottleneck as quickly as it did.
    I wasn't going for speed I was shopping for price. Also, I have M.2's up and running in my Asus X570 as well as the Asus Crosshair VI Hero (dual boots W10) and there is no discernable increase in speed outside of a benchmark. A good reason to use a SATA SSD is that most motherboards only have 1 M.2 slot, however my Asus X570 does have 2 M.2 slots. The M.2 is faster than the SATA SSD but you must 'pick & choose' and you will pay more for the better M.2 and not all M.2's support W7, so that's why I used the slightly more expensive Samsung line. Also, I changed my mind about using the M.2 for W7 as that particular M.2 has W10 from an older Z170 build which is miraculously still fully functional in the new C6H gamer build. So, the bottom line for the C6H is a M.2 for W10 and a SATA SSD for W7 along with a WD Velociraptor for backup. It's a sweet setup if I do say so myself!
    Last edited by Agent Orange; October 2nd, 2020 at 08:07 AM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I am a big fan of Samsung SSD's - I have a number of them and they work very well. I remember a number of years ago when SSD's were coming out there was a forum where people were intentionally writing petabytes to them to see how long they would last and many of them were multiple times past their design limit with no problems.