Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay reserve fees

Blog Entries

Default Ebay reserve fees

So I sold something on ebay. It had a reserve price of $2k (which was met). I get an invoice today for $150US just for the reserve fee alone, and then a the final value fee on top of that. For a $2000 sale I'm supposed to pay $500.

Does that not seem excessive? I knew there was a reserve fee but I didn't know it went that high.. and they're charging a final value fee on shipping?! If that's how Ebay does things going forward it makes me rethink using them to sell stuff.

As a 20-plus year member of eBay I can tell you the days of Reserve prices are long gone as of... I don't know two years ago maybe more maybe last? EBay started making pushes to get rid of reserved prices. Last time I sold something with a reserve price the same thing had happened and that I had found out that there is a reserve price fee and I'm fairly certain they let you know about it early on it's just probably overlooked. That's why I don't sell options anymore everything I sell is Buy It Now. Unless I'm a hundred percent sure it's going to be in the ballpark I'd like to get I don't do Reserve prices. And even then you open yourself up to risk just in the slim chance that you have a expensive item but maybe nobody saw it and it's sold for very little that actually happened to me on an Apple 2gs I sold on eBay I was confident there would be last-minute buyers and it went down to the last second while I was watching on my phone and nobody did and it sold for practically nothing again that's why I sell buy it now only. What you should be discussing right now is how eBay is forcing everyone into a managed payment system that they will control utilizing your bank account and social security number. This mandate allows them to open and close returns and refunds at their whim not yours while reporting all selling information to the IRS and holding your money and taking out fees automatically paying on a schedule that they determine this is far more upsetting than the reserve price fees.

Blog Entries

It didn't mention anything about a 7.5% reserve price fee when I was setting the thing up. Ugh. That is such a rip off. I really hope a competitor comes along and puts their lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    It didn't mention anything about a 7.5% reserve price fee when I was setting the thing up. Ugh. That is such a rip off. I really hope a competitor comes along and puts their lights out.
    I have been asking for that for many years.. Apparently they crush anyone who tried. Either way, its time for that monstrosity to topple so more choices come around.

Blog Entries

What category did you sell in? I think computer stuff is 10% plus 5% if you have hits like not as described or take too long to ship.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

selling with a reserve price makes absolutely no sense anymore because of the selling fee

you just get people running the price up to see what the reserve is, then backing out the bid

The alternative is set the minimum at what you think you'd like to get and see if it goes over, or do a buy it now high with
    a make offer and risk selling for less if there would have been a bidding war

Blog Entries

What Al said. Reserve prices are essentially discovery fees, for you using ebay as a service to discover what buyers are willing to pay for an item. If you know what your item is approximately worth, auction it off with that as a starting price. If you don't know, add Make Offer and see what trickles in. Searching sold (NOT CLOSED) auctions is another way to determine average price.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    What category did you sell in? I think computer stuff is 10% plus 5% if you have hits like not as described or take too long to ship.
    I think it was my original copy of ultima from 1981 original release I sold on ebay. Memory a bit foggy, may have been an apple IIgs.. But I am leaning towards ultima.

Al is right. I listed ultima 3 times and people ran the bids up and then backed out last minute.. That should not be allowed. Anyway My copy sold for less than the previous two legitimate copies did. And I had to list it 3 times due to problems...(with many months in between from complete demoralization)

I am not against reserve prices. I dont like them when I am a bidder but I get it.. You want to get a certain number in mind and honestly if sellers can list an apple II plus for $2500.00 you should be allowed to set a reserve price for any number you want without fees. Whats the difference..?

I'm not going to defend ebay's price gouging, because I agree it is loathsome, but there's no good reason to ever use a reserve. It's massively obnoxious to buyers, and sellers can just as easily use a higher starting bid to protect themselves against losing their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I'm not going to defend ebay's price gouging, because I agree it is loathsome, but there's no good reason to ever use a reserve. It's massively obnoxious to buyers, and sellers can just as easily use a higher starting bid to protect themselves against losing their ass.
    Agree to disagree Max. If a seller wants a certain number in mind... Lets say its consistent with the last few of the same items selling on ebay.. Why shouldnt they set the bar... Having the bar set too high is obnoxious.. But a consistant price is acceptable. We all want stuff for the cheapest we can get.. but that's not always the case.