Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5160 VGA options?

Default IBM 5160 VGA options?

Picked up my first 5160 over the weekend. I don't have a CGA or EGA monitor. Assuming there must be a way to get these working with a VGA monitor? I seem to remember some 8/16 bit VGA cards back in the day. When I google around I am not finding anything on the topic.

It does have a CGA card, and I did successfully output video via the composite port to an old 9" composite monitor I have. Worked well enough to sort out the bad memory issue. Only had to replace one chip to get it booting.

Looking for a better solution than staring at a 9" monitor all the time. Hopefully using one of the many flat panel VGA monitors I have kicking around. At least until I can find an actual CGA monitor.

Any recommendations? Thanks, Chris

Here's a thread about 8-bit bus friendly VGA cards:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-ISA-VGA-cards

Everyone has their own favorite suggestions. I use an OAK OTI-077 in my Tandy 1000 and it works fine. (I think most OAKs are XT-friendly, and because they have this reputation of being kind of an off-brand they're relatively cheap.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    Picked up my first 5160 over the weekend.
    Lots of IBM 5160 information at minuszerodegrees.net

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    Assuming there must be a way to get these working with a VGA monitor?
    At minuszerodegrees.net, within the 'IBM 5160' section, the 'VGA cards' link contains some VGA cards that are known to work in the IBM 5160.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

There's also an original IBM option, confusingly called the IBM PS/2 Display Adapter. That's the card to upgrade 8-bit ISA machines (5150, 5160,...) to the "PS/2 video standard" later called VGA, although it sounds like it is meant for PS/2 machines.
    However, these adapters are quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by diskettenfett View Post
    There's also an original IBM option, confusingly called the IBM PS/2 Display Adapter. That's the card to upgrade 8-bit ISA machines (5150, 5160,...) to the "PS/2 video standard" later called VGA, although it sounds like it is meant for PS/2 machines.
    However, these adapters are quite rare.
    It was primarily meant to upgrade the PS/2 Model 30 from MCGA to VGA.