Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Macintosh Classic pick-up at recycling center

It's always a surprise just how much filth can accumulate in storage alone.

My cleaning path with a KB like this would be to remove all key caps, open the board and remove PCB. Scrub PCB with the purest rubbing alcohol you can find. Any membranes or rubber dome sheets are gently washed with a q-tip and soapy water. Dishwasher on gentle setting or hand wash with dish soap (great for grease) for case. Keys get soaked in dish soap and water for an hour or so then cleaned by hand with toothbrush. If plastic dirt is especially stubborn then scrub with a paste of water and baking soda. Then all yellowed plastics take a bath in a black plastic Rubbermaid tote with a retro-bright solution of hot water and 40 strength salon developer (works better for me than hydrogen peroxide but results may vary) covered with transparent plastic under the sun. Agitate the solution every ten or twenty minutes to remove bubbles and expose all surfaces to the UV. After a few hours (depending on exposure and temperature) remove and rinse your new white parts. Reassemble and enjoy the experience.

Cleaning the switches if they are mechanical is a whole other thing.

I see keyboards in that condition all the time, they get that way from being left out in non-climate controlled storage, like a shed or garage.

The yellowing can be taken care of with peroxide, you'll need some higher strength stuff than the 3% stuff that is sold in the pharmacy though. There's something called "salon care 40 volume clear developer", which is a 13% peroxide solution. It's stupid expensive online, I'd recommend getting it from a beauty supply store, like Sally Beauty.

Here's a gallon of it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TP1IZDE/

Pull all of the keys off and clean them well, then put them in a clear tote and carefully pour enough peroxide in so they're submerged. Then cover the container with plastic wrap and put it outside for a couple of hours. If the keys start to float, you may have to stick them to the bottom of the container with something, or try putting them in a bag with peroxide and try to keep the air out.

Same here. No idea what people do with their keyboards to let them become that gross.

I have been curious about trying out the retro-bright solution. However, at least the near months
    there is limited/no natural UV source here in Finland . I'd have to acquire UV source for it as well.
    It also seems, that we need police permit for posessing stronger than 12% peroxide here in Finland.

While I think about what to try out, I opened the keyboard that has no 3, e, d or c key functions.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

I asked the previous owner about any history of these keyboards. It seems, they have been storaged in some container in a (job) lot.
    That pcb inside the keyboard looks like to me has been exposed to water. Probably they were in outside container without any roof on top of them.

I'm guessing the problem maybe in the ribbon cables or their connectors. The wider connector looks like has two black dirty contact pins in it.
    The narrow ribbon cable on the other hand has lost some black contact material (what is that black material anyway on the cables?).

I cleaned the pcb with some alcohol and q-tip, but I have not dared to touch the ribbon cable ends or the pins themselves yet.
    I'm guessing that alcohol may leave residue that further insulates the contact, or even may destroy the ribbon cable black material itself.

I might just reassemble the unit and try it out if anything changed. But I can try it out earliest next weekend, because I'm not with the
    mac itself - already transported it to the location, where I'm moving.
    Last edited by VintageVic; October 20th, 2020 at 02:17 AM.

The ribbon cable is unlikely to be the issue, as many more keys would not work if even a single contact is bad. You need to disassemble the keyboard itself and clean the film and rubber contacts. Maybe some rework of the conductive material is even needed.

I see.

The back panel seems to be a bit tricky to open. It looks like it is riveted.
    If I need to drill the rivets to get it open then there is issue of how to get it tightly back together.

maybe, if just drill 1mm to get the rivets out and a small hole through the rivet in the center, I could
    screw it back together with small screws. I need to think this a bit first what would be the wisest way of opening it.

That's odd. The two Apple Design Keyboards I own had screws and were easy to disassemble. Guess you have a later revision then.

Looks like it needs to be bolt modded. Drill the rivets and use the thickest, shortest bolt you can. Hopefully thick enough that the threads grab the mounting plate enough that you don't have to hold it awkwardly with your finger while fumbling with the nut for the bolt. You'll need a lot of them LOL.

https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?...t_and_Bolt_Mod

Not Strictly Mac but its the same process.

Its true, the apple design keyboard and the apple ADB keyboard may all look the same on the outside but internally there were a half dozen varieties; some significantly different from the rest making part swapping impossible. I have one with a bad membrane just sitting here waiting for the day I come across another with the same parts.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVic View Post
    I see.

If I need to drill the rivets to get it open then there is issue of how to get it tightly back together.

maybe, if just drill 1mm to get the rivets out and a small hole through the rivet in the center, I could
    screw it back together with small screws. I need to think this a bit first what would be the wisest way of opening it.
    Just get a rivet gun, they aren't that expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t+gun&_sacat=0

If you don't want to use rivets, you can get basically any type of screw hardware that is known to exist on Ebay in bulk for cheap. You'll probably end up needing M2-M4 screws of some length.