Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTCP IRCjr: Says line is too long in TCP config file, despite following Wiki

Default MTCP IRCjr: Says line is too long in TCP config file, despite following Wiki

I've finally got my Sanyo MBC-775 repaired and up-and-running with programs, since I recently acquired an XT-IDE card. (For those wondering what was wrong, It was a transistor and a resistor that blew when I accidentally swapped some of the CRT power connections.)

The only problem is, I am having problems trying to use the IRCjr program to connect to the Retro Battlestations IRC.

The program keeps telling me that the final line in the configuration file is too long, despite it not looking any longer than the address configuration lines above it (In fact, deleting the final line just makes it complain about the next line), and kicks me back out to DOS.

Are the line endings correct? I presume they should be DOS CR/LF.

Quote Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
    Are the line endings correct? I presume they should be DOS CR/LF.
    Yes, I did check that. In fact, it clued me in to try using a DOS editor when I saw the file typed out incorrectly using the "type" command.

Blog Entries

Delete the line itself, and the two surrounding lines, and then re-type them in manually. There's probably a hidden character in there or something. May also want to ensure there's a CTRL-Z as the last character. It would help to look at the file in a hex view/editor too.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Even after typing the config out manually, I could not get it to work.

The card and the packet driver work fine, though. (I'm using an Intel 8/16 LAN Adapter Card)

I'm absolutely certain this is going to be a user error, but the intent here is to help you get past it.

Can you move the file to a machine, zip it, and then email it to me? Or use a hex editor to show me the last two lines, including the eof of file marker?

Hundreds or thousands of people are using mTCP; yours is the only complaint I'm hearing about an issue like this.

Blog Entries

Might it be that the lines are terminated UNIX-style with just LF instead of CR-LF?

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    I'm absolutely certain this is going to be a user error, but the intent here is to help you get past it.

Can you move the file to a machine, zip it, and then email it to me? Or use a hex editor to show me the last two lines, including the eof of file marker?

Hundreds or thousands of people are using mTCP; yours is the only complaint I'm hearing about an issue like this.
    The first one is the error message that it throws up, despite redoing the config file. The second one is the text file, as seen in UHEX, that I re-typed out in a simple 8088/8086 text-editing program.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The last line doesn't have a carriage return and line feed pair. Add a blank line or two at the end of the file.

It seems like I keep hitting a wall every time I make progress. When I added the proper IRC parameters to use IRCjr, the first time gave me a "Divide Overflow" error. I figured it was just memory that was unclaimed, so I power-cycled the system. Then when I tried running IRCjr again, it spit out two lines of garbage characters and hung.