Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MTCP IRCjr: Says line is too long in TCP config file, despite following Wiki

Blog Entries

That sounds like a Sanyo MBC-775 error, not an IRCjr error. Start sanity-testing your storage and RAM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

How did you get the executables onto your system? Did you FTP them somewhere and forget to set binary mode? What you are describing sounds like the binary is corrupted or the machine is very ill.

Also, did adding empty lines to the end of your config file fix things?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Start sanity-testing your storage and RAM.
    I figured I was going to have to do that. :P I already have a large set of 256-kilobit RAM chips and sockets to go along with them if needed. I'll run RAMTEST to see if there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    How did you get the executables onto your system? Did you FTP them somewhere and forget to set binary mode? What you are describing sounds like the binary is corrupted or the machine is very ill.

Also, did adding empty lines to the end of your config file fix things?
    I directly downloaded them, using my Macbook, from the MTCP page and transferred them to a CF card. I may have a RAM problem, because other programs refuse to start, despite them being properly sized for the 256kb of memory that I have. If it comes to it, I may desolder all of the RAM chips (I have a small-diameter nozzle for my desoldering gun on its way) and replace them with 1MB of memory, like this card: https://ebay.us/5Nyl0h

And yes, the empty lines did fix the complaint.

EDIT: AHA! RAMTEST FOUND A PROBLEM! I knew it wasn't a PICNIC! :P
    Last edited by T-Squared; October 10th, 2020 at 06:36 PM.

It seems I was a bit too hasty. I don't know why the Divide Overflow occurred, but it fixed itself.

Whatever. I still intend to put in sockets. It's probably not kosher, but whatever memory I need, I can put in, and it's easy to replace later, if any memory fails.

Anyways, I have made some progress, but still not enough to make an intergalactic call (to borrow a phrase from CuriousMarc).

IRCjr states that it is unable to resolve the DNS (This I understand. It's using the HTML address as a call-out, to see what server answers, to connect to an IP address.)

I'm not so well-versed in IP address formatting. I know the ideas and the concepts, but the proper vectors to point to are beyond me. I've never really had to do this. In all of the years I've worked with computers, Windows 98 and XP have done the grunt work for me, and MacBooks just connect to any wireless router.

From the SAMPLE.CFG file for MTCP, tell me if my guesses are correct:

IPADDR 192.168.1.100 (I'm guessing this can be a custom address, and doesn't have any affect on anything outside one's LAN.)
    NETMASK 255.255.255.0 (This probably hides the real address)
    GATEWAY 192.168.1.1 (This is the out port for the router)
    NAMESERVER 8.8.8.8 (This is the IP address of your ISP's main server?)
    Last edited by T-Squared; October 14th, 2020 at 09:48 PM.

Blog Entries

You shouldn't guess; I'd suggest a quick TCP/IP primer or introduction if you need background on TCP/IP networking. It's basic knowledge people should know these days.

Here's the super-quick overview of these parameters:

IP Address: A host's unique location on the network.

Netmask: Defines the size of the network. It's a bitmask, so 0.0.0.0 means your network covers the entire internet, 255.0.0.0 narrows it down, 255.255.0.0 narrows it further, and 255.255.255.0 narrows it down so much that only 256 IP addresses can fit.

Gateway: The IP address that your local host should use to communicate with other hosts on the network. This is generally your internet router.

Nameserver: The IP address that you local hosts should use to look up names, IPs or both. A nameserver translates "www.google.com" into an IP address so that your host knows which system to connect to. Conversely, a nameserver translates an IP address like "104.192.220.12" into a name.

The sample values you provided should work fine if your local/home network is 192.168.1.0. Check other systems on your network for their values, and copy them if unsure, except for the IP address which should be unique.

mTCP has a DHCP program. Run it after your packet driver is set up, and it can ask your router for a unique IP address that is not in use.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Thanks. It worked!

I've hit another wall, but this time, the solution is in line with my plan to replace the soldered memory chips with upgraded socketed memory.

Both Telnet and IRCjr report that my system doesn't have enough memory at the moment.

I'll point out that everything Trixter said above is also in the PDF documentation for mTCP ...

Blog Entries

FWIW, my router is set up to allocate DHCP-assigned addresses within a certain range; addresses below this range are used by permanently-installed devices using static IPs. For example: 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.200 are DHCP addresses; 10.0.0.201-255 are for non-computer devices (e.g. printers, etc.) 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.99 are for computers using static IPs. Gateway address is 10.0.0.1.

I don't know if other folks do it like this, but it's worked for me for years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    Both Telnet and IRCjr report that my system doesn't have enough memory at the moment.
    How much RAM is currently installed?
    Offering a bounty for:

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    How much RAM is currently installed?
    256KB. But it really shouldn't matter, should it, given that the memory requirements are 96-256KB, right?

If it's not working, then the RAM is probably flaky.

EDIT: Now I'm getting an "Insufficient Base Memory to perform test" error from RAMTEST!

EDIT 2: I'm not sure if the memory is really bad, but the packet driver for my Ethernet card seems to be playing games with the RAM tests.
    Last edited by T-Squared; October 15th, 2020 at 10:44 AM.