Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MTCP IRCjr: Says line is too long in TCP config file, despite following Wiki

Blog Entries

256K is enough to run some mTCP programs, but not necessarily all of them? Either way, you've been getting strange RAM-related errors, so I think it's time to bite the bullet and take out all the DRAM, put in sockets, and put them back; then you can more easily troubleshoot which one is bad -- or, you could go scorched earth and replace all of them, and upgrade to 640 while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    EDIT 2: I'm not sure if the memory is really bad, but the packet driver for my Ethernet card seems to be playing games with the RAM tests.
    You have so little RAM that the memory taken up by the packet driver puts you under the threshold for running RAM test programs...
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    or, you could go scorched earth and replace all of them, and upgrade to 640 while you're at it.
    That was what I was going to do. :P I already have the 256-kbit RAM chips to upgrade to 640, plus eke out 384kb of expanded memory, so I can run Windows 3.0. (I had to look the memory type up, because I couldn't tell the difference between Extended and Expanded.) The desoldering tip is also on its way, as the nozzle that came with mine is too large to properly vacuum the solder out of the vias.

OnE MeGAbyTE?! WE MuST BE LiViNG in tHE FuTuRe! I caN Run, liKE, 16 CoLors Now!

That was what I was going to do. :P I already have the 256-kbit RAM chips to upgrade to 640, plus eke out 384kb of expanded memory, so I can run Windows 3.0. (I had to look the memory type up, because I couldn't tell the difference between Extended and Expanded.) The desoldering tip is also on its way, as the nozzle that came with mine is too large to properly vacuum the solder out of the vias.
    ... Does this Sanyo machine actually have the hardware to let you plop 1MB's worth of 256kbit chips in in place of what I assume is 4 banks of 64kbit chips and convert anything over 640k to actual pageable EMS memory? That sounds awfully sophisticated for an MBC-775. Do you have the manual? I wouldn't necessarily take it as a sure thing that you can even go to 640k on the motherboard unless it specifically says so.

(Remember, there's not going to be any "autodetect", so if it takes 640k on the motherboard there's going to be a DIP switch or jumper somewhere...)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    ... Does this Sanyo machine actually have the hardware to let you plop 1MB's worth of 256kbit chips in in place of what I assume is 4 banks of 64kbit chips and convert anything over 640k to actual pageable EMS memory? That sounds awfully sophisticated for an MBC-775. Do you have the manual? I wouldn't necessarily take it as a sure thing that you can even go to 640k on the motherboard unless it specifically says so.

(Remember, there's not going to be any "autodetect", so if it takes 640k on the motherboard there's going to be a DIP switch or jumper somewhere...)
    Well, remember, I'm using a third-party Phoenix Technologies BIOS for compatibility.
    The Sanyo 2.33 ROM is buggy, from what I heard, and doesn't do a good job for certain games. The early PC-"compatibles" were based on imperfect studies of the BIOS code and true 95%+ compatibility didn't come around until Compaq did a clean-room study of the ROM chips. I should probably test the 2.33 ROM with Flight Simulator, just to be sure. I'll be getting some character set pictures for another person sometime soon using that ROM as well. (Since the Sanyo 320x200 font is different from IBM's and compatibles.)

At its base, it's an IBM PC.
    Even if it doesn't work, the sockets will still be useful for replacing bad memory later. I thought or I seem to remember seeing that swapping certain memory chips would expand the memory of a system, like, same information structure within the chip, but more capacity. Someone did this with a custom ZX Spectrum memory module, but they probably used an interfacing chip in addition to the memory IC.
    Last edited by T-Squared; October 15th, 2020 at 08:11 PM.

Well, remember, I'm using a third-party Phoenix Technologies BIOS for compatibility.
    That's *almost certainly* not going to affect the hardware that controls the memory sockets.

At its base, it's an IBM PC.
    Yes. And only the later versions of the IBM *XT* supported putting 640k on the motherboard out of the box, and you had to put specific size chips in specific places. There was no magical "autodetect". (A 5160 can sniff out how *much* total memory is installed, but it knows nothing about different sizes.)

I thought or I seem to remember seeing that swapping certain memory chips would expand the memory of a system, like, same information structure within the chip, but more capacity.
    A 64k DRAM has eight address lines that are multiplexed to address a total of 64Kbits of memory. A 256k DRAM has nine address lines, likewise multiplexed. Both chips do have the same number of pins (16) so it's possible to make a board that can take either in a given bank, but if that machine does there's almost certainly some switches or jumpers somewhere. It might be wise to start a thread and ask if anyone has the manual to the machine and can tell you if it supports more RAM out of the box.

Blog Entries

Going back to the original 5150, there were kits that enabled one to replace the 4116 16K DRAMs with 4164 64K devices. Rather than remove the first row of soldered-in DRAM, you made a couple of cuts and just disabled it. The remainder of the DRAM was on a small PCB that fitted over the 64KB planar array. On my 5150, the kit was made by an outfit called "Purple Computing". I think I still have the manual.

Of course, yeah, if you had the schematic of the machine engineering an upgrade to denser RAM would probably be pretty trivial. But without it there’s likely to be a lot of fiddley trace tracing.

Does the Sanyo have PC compatible slots? If it does an SRAM card like the common Lo-Tech 1mb is the easy cop-out.

... I just finally had it sink into my brain that the memory that’s in the machine now is soldered in. That certainly lowers the odds that it already has a configuration jumper for denser RAM somewhere, doesn’t it.

Remember that BIOS sets up the DMA controller, which is used for DRAM refreshing. That means there is a path for a bad BIOS to wreak havoc with the memory subsystem.

OnE MeGAbyTE?! WE MuST BE LiViNG in tHE FuTuRe! I caN Run, liKE, 16 CoLors Now!
    Hey now, I do 256 colors with 64K VRAM because each pixel is 1 byte, and 320x200=64,000 bytes.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Blog Entries

Time to close this thread and open a new one for just memory upgrading.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)