Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fool DOS to redirect drive A to Drive B

1. Default Fool DOS to redirect drive A to Drive B

I have MicronPc Motherboard DR737, which is an Intel MB IN440ZX. The Bios on the board is an Award dated 1998, however, there is a Presto sticker over the Award with a version of 2.4 written on it. The Award Bios is only showing one floppy a 1.44 MB. If I add a 1.2 MB floppy the Award bios don't seem to indicate that it's there in the displayed listing. Is there any way to get around this restriction? Is there a way to fool the system to substitute the recognized 1.44 floppy for the 1.2 in the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat for MS-DOS 6.22?

You mean the BIOS only lists one floppy drive, and you are trying to add a second?

Or do you mean the BIOS only supports 1.44mb as a drive type?

Either way, first try using ImageDisk and manually specifying the drive. It bypasses BIOS and will determine if the hardware is actually working. If a motherboard BIOS has been crippled to only recognize one floppy drive, it may also be that the hardware is missing/disabled to talk to a second floppy drive.

Blog Entries

Some of the LPC Intel chipsets allow for only a single floppy; some also allow for using the parallel port pins for a second floppy, but that's configured in the BIOS.

4. Default

I planned to use 1.2 MB floppy to observe some old HD 1.2 Floppies to find what data exists on them. I thought I could add the 1.2 as B drive and the 1.44 a A. Apparently the BIOS, only showed the 1.44 and not the 1.2. In response to your second question, I don't really know at this time. I would have to insert the 1.2 for the 1.44 and see if the BIOS recognizes the single drive change. I downloaded the ImageDisk recommended. I'll have to see the readmes to learn how this tool works. Thank you for the suggestion. Chuck(G) The BIOS for the machine appears to be very primative. It doesn't seem to address the video which is built into the MB.

Blog Entries

If you are looking for a hardware solution, you could always mount a switch somewhere that would swap the motor and drive select lines between two drives. Another solution would be to install the 5.25" drive permanently and use a USB 3.5" drive for the little guys.

I'm assuming you've jumpered the 5.25 right. Most newer systems with 3.5s use twisted cables but the 5.25s have to be jumpered correctly work with a twisted cable. It is not the same as a straight cable.
    Dwight

7. Default

Check(G)" your thinking a DPDT to switch between the two. That's a possibility.

8. Default

Dwight: Yes, the old 1.2 has an MFM connector that was straight it came from an old machine that I had in the mid-1990s that was designated as a B drive. The 1.44 was the 34 pin connector with a twist in the cable. Unfortunately, the BIOS just saw the 1.44. The old thing about the BIOS is that the Chip has the 1998 Award label on it with a Presto label on top of that label. The Presto label was version 2.2 then upgraded to version 2.4 according to the labels seen. I can't find much on the Presto BIOS, who made it whether it was changed from a 1998 label that might have included a B drive.

Blog Entries

Check to see what your southbridge and superio chips are. As I mentioned, there are chipsets that support only a single floppy.

10. Default

Chuck(G): The floppy controller appears to be a Winbond Super I/O Chip W839771F-AW. I didn't find much on the chips other than it was made by Asus as P2BF Rev 1.0 although labeled as Winbond. I couldn't find much on it although I did Google the number with and without the hyphen. I can't tell whther it will support two drives or not.