Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Daddy O.....

Default Big Daddy O.....

Big Daddy visited my office recently. Looked up and there he was! You know the guy. He always has to have biggest and best, coolest and most practical for the buck.

Hmmmm....as I stammered I think FREHD thing (having been out of TRS80 so long I was worried he may ask questions on that product) be a good selection but fast thinking was needed.

Knowing I could appeal to his brazen side by offering him a cigar where prohibited telling him to ignore signs....As he lit I decided.

I once read Howard Hughes said all he needed to know was he could have a expert in any field in minutes. Thinking fast about this forum, I told big daddy that I would get back with full report.

Now experts, if a 4P was to be restored and built up to be the best it could be.....what would that new upgraded 4P look like?

Better power supply? ROMS? SD? New RAM?

So please help me out before big daddy comes back wanting answers. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danielbooneamerica View Post
    Big Daddy visited my office recently. Looked up and there he was! You know the guy. He always has to have biggest and best, coolest and most practical for the buck.

Hmmmm....as I stammered I think FREHD thing (having been out of TRS80 so long I was worried he may ask questions on that product) be a good selection but fast thinking was needed.

Knowing I could appeal to his brazen side by offering him a cigar where prohibited telling him to ignore signs....As he lit I decided.

I once read Howard Hughes said all he needed to know was he could have a expert in any field in minutes. Thinking fast about this forum, I told big daddy that I would get back with full report.

Now experts, if a 4P was to be restored and built up to be the best it could be.....what would that new upgraded 4P look like?

Better power supply? ROMS? SD? New RAM?

So please help me out before big daddy comes back wanting answers. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Daniel
    I really can't help you with you delima as I too have a 4P. Several years ago I accumulated all of the parts needed for a adding CF card, and all that's still sitting in a small box. I just had second thoughts about that machine as it boots and runs perfectly as it is. I gonna keep it that way. I'm really not that sentimental as I've done just about every mod that you can do to my SX.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Hmmmm....as I stammered I think FREHD thing.

Daniel
    This client with fat pockets for 4P restore had seen this FreHD storage device on ebay. I was told he sent a ebay message with questions but did not receive a reply.

Does anyone know if this device still sold new and supported or is it just selling old stock?

I have had some private messages stating they think its a good product but wanted to make sure there is not a better alternative.

D

This client with fat pockets for 4P restore had seen this FreHD storage device on ebay. I was told he sent a ebay message with questions but did not receive a reply.

Does anyone know if this device still sold new and supported or is it just selling old stock?

I have had some private messages stating they think its a good product but wanted to make sure there is not a better alternative.

D
    I have a 4P, and just bought a FreHD from the builder in Australia to add to it. It is a new product, and seems pretty well supported.

It's also an excellent addition to my 4P at least, providing fast and expansive storage, a Y2K-compatible clock, and a choice of bootable DOS varieties, including LS-DOS and CPM.

The model I bought did not include a new ROM, so requires booting from a floppy, but the advantage is that it leaves the 4P in original state, so can be used with just the floppy drives and no FreHD - which personally I like because it lets me use the system as it was originally intended.

For the money, I'd say a FreHD is a great addition.

I found the seller to be very responsive via eBay, and promptly answered a question after the FreHD had arrived. However, with things as they are around the world right now, it's hard to know if someone isn't responsive if there's likely a perfectly good reason. In any event, the builder is well known here and elsewhere in TRS-80 circles, and I wouldn't have any problem in recommending the product.

My only gripe is that international postal services can be a bit flaky, and my FreHD languished in the USPS facility in LA for some weeks - but then everything that goes through these postal centers seems similarly impacted. Patience is usually necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
    I have a 4P, and just bought a FreHD from the builder in Australia to add to it. It is a new product, and seems pretty well supported.

It's also an excellent addition to my 4P at least, providing fast and expansive storage, a Y2K-compatible clock, and a choice of bootable DOS varieties, including LS-DOS and CPM.

The model I bought did not include a new ROM, so requires booting from a floppy, but the advantage is that it leaves the 4P in original state, so can be used with just the floppy drives and no FreHD - which personally I like because it lets me use the system as it was originally intended.

For the money, I'd say a FreHD is a great addition.

I found the seller to be very responsive via eBay, and promptly answered a question after the FreHD had arrived. However, with things as they are around the world right now, it's hard to know if someone isn't responsive if there's likely a perfectly good reason. In any event, the builder is well known here and elsewhere in TRS-80 circles, and I wouldn't have any problem in recommending the product.

My only gripe is that international postal services can be a bit flaky, and my FreHD languished in the USPS facility in LA for some weeks - but then everything that goes through these postal centers seems similarly impacted. Patience is usually necessary!
    Do you know of any experiments to mount this internally in any of TRS80 models?

Do you know of any experiments to mount this internally in any of TRS80 models?
    There's a YouTube video with one installed in a 4P - have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv63ugThiHs

I was almost convinced to try that myself!

I built a carrier PCB to install the FreHD in the 4P modem slot.
    DC power is from the card edge, power/access LED moved to the front. SD card access is from the back.
    On the 4 and 4P, there is a set of pads on the main board were a 40pin connector can be installed, allowing the FreHD to connect to the be expansion bus and leave the external connector open for other devices (ie., ORCH).

After reading your post, the man, has demanded I make it so he may manually select which ROM is used at boot.

More work but it can be done and I personally think its a great idea.

It adds to this machines flexability as both a retro and modified machine.

Frehd.

If mounting internal in 4p....has anyone seen a case or front panel that allows this board to be mounted in 5.25" drive bay.

Sent question on ebay to seller and thought we would post here.

I did not see measurements of board anywhere but looks.like it could fit in an empty drive bay.

Thanks

I was told by a different vendor a case to fit 5.25" bay is being considered.