Image Map Image Map

Thread: High Quality Sound Card for Windows 98SE

Default High Quality Sound Card for Windows 98SE

What's are some of the best vintage sound cards that will work with Windows 98SE on a 500 mhz P3 machine? It has several PCI slots available as well as one ISA slot.

I will be using this strictly for audio recording, mostly digitizing old cassette tapes.

A Sound Blaster Live! for example. Since tapes don't have "high quality" in the first place, you don't have to care that much for anything better. Most work on tape recordings is done afterwards using audio editing software anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    A Sound Blaster Live! for example. Since tapes don't have "high quality" in the first place, you don't have to care that much for anything better. Most work on tape recordings is done afterwards using audio editing software anyway.
    Thank you. I'm trying to learn about sound cards in general, I'll start with the cassette tapes but will move on to my vinyl collection. Audio quality is the priority, where does the Sound Blaster Live! sit in the sound quality spectrum of sound cards?

The Live! has a SNR of 100 dB, just like the Audigy. That's already very good for a consumer card. The Audigy 2 even had 106 dB SNR, but no idea if they made Win98SE drivers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    The Live! has a SNR of 100 dB, just like the Audigy. That's already very good for a consumer card. The Audigy 2 even had 106 dB SNR, but no idea if they made Win98SE drivers for that.

Thank you, 100bd s/n ratio is way better than my cassettes.

I see lots of Live! sound cards on ebay, but I'm wondering how easy it will be to get Windows 98 drivers for them.

EDIT: I just found one here.... https://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx
    Last edited by acad_2k; October 12th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.

The last driver version Creative has on their website works fine on Windows 98, so long as you don't need to use sound in DOS programs. There's a different VxD driver that's required for DOS sound support, which is a bit hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The last driver version Creative has on their website works fine on Windows 98, so long as you don't need to use sound in DOS programs. There's a different VxD driver that's required for DOS sound support, which is a bit hard to find.
    Thank you. No I don't need to use it in DOS.

Blog Entries

I used Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound cards in the Windows 98 era and still do.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I used Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound cards in the Windows 98 era and still do.

Thanks. Are these Windows 98 era machines used mostly for "gaming"? Most of the info I see on the web suggests this.

Are there any "audiophiles" using Win98 machines and software?

Not using Win98. My audio recording system is based on Linux and using an Asus Xonar card. SNR is 116 dB with that one, but not that it would matter for tapes or vinyl records. I'm using it mainly to record from professional MIDI equipment.