Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ken William's New Book

Default Ken William's New Book

I know there are a few Sierra Fans out in the crows. I am wondering if anyone else had a chance to read Ken's new book: Not All Fairy Tales Have Happy Endings? I just finished it (was a very easy read) and thought it was an interesting view point. If you are looking for the nitty gritty of how it was to work for Sierra or specific info on games this is not the book for you.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Since I'm apparently hard to buy gifts for, I have to wait til after xmas to read mine.
    If ken had released his book back in August, I may have gotten away with getting my own copy by now.

Interesting I'll have to take a look at it. I worked for them back in the early 90's. I'll have to grab a copy and see how well Ken's recollections of Sierra mesh with mine. I made a lot of good friends there and in a lot of ways it was a fun place to work, but unless you were part of the upper management team the pay there was so pitiful that it would have made a miser blush. At the time they practically had a license to print money and yet for myself and many of my friends we were paid so poorly for skilled positions that we qualified for government assistance because we were being paid below what California State considered poverty level income.

For those of us who were the frontline workers, Ken and Roberta Williams don't exactly conjure up fond memories.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by owensct View Post
    For those of us who were the frontline workers, Ken and Roberta Williams don't exactly conjure up fond memories.

Gordon
    Reading the book that is my impression exactly as well. He never comes out and says it but his description of Sierra and his approach to the company did not make it a a place I would like to have worked at, even as upper management.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owensct View Post
    I worked for them back in the early 90's.
    If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know what your job description and responsibilities were, so that I can get a better feel for what you're describing.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)