Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq Portable III Power Supply removal

Default Compaq Portable III Power Supply removal

I have a Compaq Portable III which has suffered what appears to be a significant impact on the bottom corner where the power lead connects, and on the side-panel where the vents are for the power supply.

The bottom corner of the casing, and the PSU itself is deformed, but the main part of the damage is that the metal panel up the side of the PSU - the metal has holes for ventilation - has been pushed in as much as 3/4 inch along the 'top' (meaning along the edge of the PSU that runs close to the back panel.

I was able to disassemble the computer to the point where I can get at the whole PSU, where it looks like it's designed to simply slide out as a complete assembly.... but it doesn't budge, and there's no place where it appears I can exert any leverage or force.

It's possible that the PSU is jammed in place by the deformity, or that I have missed some screws that hold it in place, but I don't think that's the case.

Does anyone know if the PSU really does 'just' slide out, once the back panel and motherboard are removed? If I can source one, and can remove the damaged unit, I'd certainly want to get this back in working order, even if with superficial damage to the outer case.

Incidentally, the system doesn't power up - which is probably no surprise.

Any thoughts?

I haven't touched my Compaq Portable III in a while. I think there are some screws in the front bezel that you have to unscrew.

Apologies if this takes a while to post, but being a newbie, it has to wait for moderator approval (that is not a complaint!)

I couldn't see any screws from the front of the unit, but it would make sense that there should be something other than friction to keep the PSU in place!

I found what looks like the service manual for the 386 model, which has (mostly) the same structure, though a different motherboard, and that does indeed show 4 screws behind the plasma display. Since the models are structurally very similar, it makes sense the portable III would have them too.

Thanks!!!!

Next, I'll likely need a new PSU, so a further question would be: Given an impact that caused damage to the plastic casing, and the side of the PSU itself, is there anything else that may have been damaged by the physical shock? Hard to know for sure, I know, but what other problems ought I to be looking for if I can get it back into shape?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
    Next, I'll likely need a new PSU....
    Replying to my own post... bad habit! But I have sourced a replacement PSU for the computer, and will undoubtedly discover in due course what else is wrong. I also have a second portable III which does power up, but won't boot because the CMOS battery is dead. I don't have a diagnostic disk, and no way I know of to create one - but with any luck I can make one good system at least. Hopefully two!