Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering leaving the ham hobby.

I bought a used car in the early 1990's that came with a CB in it, and within a couple weeks of fiddling with it I made a point of never turning it on. (Eventually just pulled it out from under the dashboard and chucked it in the trunk, which is where it stayed until I sold the car.) The only thing I ever heard on it if I flipped it on in town was random hicks spewing racist commentary about anyone that dared belong to an ethnicity other than "white trash" in their immediate vicinity. It was remarkable just how depressingly consistent it was. Almost like they were driving around on purpose looking for chances to have their sensibilities offended.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

There are plenty of people out there that for whatever reason are not very mobile or social outside of their home that use the internet (forums, facebook, what have you) to socialize with other people. There are also people too scared to be an asshole to real people that go crazy with the internet and social media to ruin other peoples day. Its one reason I don't like using facebook and would never join twitter or that type of trash.

I say go about your business and ignore those that annoy you. If you are involved in flamewars every place you go maybe the problem is you.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I knew a guy a couple years back who had Tourettes. He, on and off, attended a support meeting for OCD people, and in fact had clinical OCD (also?). He wasn't what you'd call shy at all. Last I heard he was delving into some other gobligook I won't mention. Though Jewish ethnically, don't know what his religious upbringing was, he was or looked into Scientology for a bit, and though we never talked about that much, he did mention they stay on top of you once you've opened the door. Not looking to generalize the op, just be careful what you get involved with, you don't want to get sucked in. Some people have found these support cells to be transforming to whatever degree. The idea more often then not is to be socialized.

Just forget dealing with other people in general and get a cat, that's what I generally recommend.

Blog Entries

I have dogs, myself.

Nah, some of those people I knew couldn't even own a cat. Or read comic books, or do a host of other things. For fear or concern over obsessing over it. I can't really understand it myself. I suppose all of us have been a bit OCD over one issue or another. Or at particular stressful times in our lives. And an animal can never take the place of a another human (and for many things we can be grateful). People with chronic mental issues need socialization, the vast majority of the time anyway. It's a matter of not feeling isolated in your duress. Again Tourettes and OCD may be 2 different things, but seemingly related. But what do I know. At one time I wanted to spend significant time reading up on all this stuff. One very popular book about this subject is Brain Lock. Never read it although I wanted to.

Cats spread toxoplasmosis.. I prefer dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Cats spread toxoplasmosis...
    Pretty sure some humans are more hazardous. ��

If cats spread anything, besides puke, currently a large problem here, I would be dead, Dead, dead, dead long ago. I currently have 16. 5 of them spend my sleeping hours in my bedroom. This is one of the dumbest comments to be posted here in some time. Billions of people have cats. Please site instances of the problem worldwide.

Cats are nice, as long as they are neutered.

Back to the OPs question. I'm surprised that anyone uses CB anymore. It's totally dead here, at least on 27MHz. There might be life on UHF CB, but I don't have such a radio.

The ham bands still have a few people around, on the lower HF bands. 28-29MHz is completely unused. I currently don't have a working radio for the VHF/UHF bands.

Hams are supposed to be polite to each other and follow the proper etiquette. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be a ham. If they are bullying you, you can either report them (with evidence) or do something else for a while.