Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering leaving the ham hobby.

There is a whole lot of douchebags in this world. And the more clubs/communities I join - the more convinced I am that the most people join some hobbies just to compensate something. I'm into american muscle cars and it's very clear there, but it's the same in other hobbies as well. Constant d*ck measuring contest expressed by showing off, bragging, gossiping behind your back and so on. You are judged by other by how much you spent on your car/equipment and how loud and "funny" you are after drinking a bit too much on the community events... Not by how helpful or nice to others you are. And almost nobody will back you up even if you are right in some argument because most people are cowards afraid to loose their position in the eyes of the popular guys. And communicating over the internet makes these things even harder because people don't take into the account your current state of mind (because they can't read your body language, face and so on). It's even worse when you are more intelligent than others as they can't catch up - they will feel that and it will make them angry, so they will try to diminish you because of how you speak, how you look, what equipment you have and so on. Truth is most communities are for conformists, fortunately not all hobbies are community-dependent and like others said - hobby is something you are doing for yourself not for others. And while hobbies are great way for meeting new people - they are not the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    If cats spread anything, besides puke, currently a large problem here, I would be dead, Dead, dead, dead long ago. I currently have 16. 5 of them spend my sleeping hours in my bedroom. This is one of the dumbest comments to be posted here in some time. Billions of people have cats. Please site instances of the problem worldwide.
    Use google.. Move a couple of your cats from your keyboard and type G O O G L E and hit enter... search for CATS TOXOPLASMOSIS mm kay?

16? Really? WHY!? Dont answer that... It doesn't matter. The smell, I mean.. How can there not be?
    Last edited by VERAULT; October 18th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.

Back to the OP topic. I have a question. All the folks in HAM I meet seem to be talking to folks around the world. Is it a planet-wide phenomenon or just indicative of who you pickup in the USA in regards to the rudeness?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Use google.. Move a couple of your cats from your keyboard and type G O O G L E and hit enter... search for CATS TOXOPLASMOSIS mm kay?

16? Really? WHY!? Dont answer that... It doesn't matter. The smell, I mean.. How can there not be?
    Smell or toxicbullcrap? All animals (and humans) are toxic. That's why we take showers, wash our hands after handling most anything, including pets.

I lived with 1 cat in a very tiny dwelling for a while. Was working weird, odd hours incessantly for a spell. Oogie would always sleep with always, under my blankets. I'm embarrassed to say that top blanket had every conceivable body fluid, for a time. I would come home and see he made a mess and would want to cry. But was too exhausted to do anything. So I would just live with it. And here I am years later, pretty much as healthy as a horse.

If someone is hypersensitive to germs or peanuts, that doesn't mean the whole world is. You want me to google something? How about you get out in tbe real world and turn the computer off. It seems it's warping your sense of reality.

And whether cat poop has some ultra lethal toxin in it or not, I encounter more dog crap everytime I walk to get the mail as there's always some dog lover that's prone to share their dog's fecies. And yes I reiterate it was a stupid comment. How about showing respect for people that love the animals they choose to.

And as to why I have so many, mom died 3 years ago leaving 13 behind. She always kept a VERY clean house, up until the last few months you WOULD'T EVEN KNOW cats lived there, unless you saw 1. I refused to just dump them in shelters. 2 have died, I brought 1 home from the job 6 months ago as she was in danger of getting run over. She unexpectedly had 4 kittens. It is what it is. And it's not a hoarding situation, there aren't cats on my keyboard, another stupid comment.

You try to do something decent in this world and take grief for it. You should be proud.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by HanJammer View Post
    There is a whole lot of douchebags in this world. And the more clubs/communities I join - the more convinced I am that the most people join some hobbies just to compensate something. I'm into american muscle cars and it's very clear there, but it's the same in other hobbies as well. Constant d*ck measuring contest expressed by showing off, bragging, gossiping behind your back and so on. You are judged by other by how much you spent on your car/equipment and how loud and "funny" you are after drinking a bit too much on the community events... Not by how helpful or nice to others you are. And almost nobody will back you up even if you are right in some argument because most people are cowards afraid to loose their position in the eyes of the popular guys. And communicating over the internet makes these things even harder because people don't take into the account your current state of mind (because they can't read your body language, face and so on). It's even worse when you are more intelligent than others as they can't catch up - they will feel that and it will make them angry, so they will try to diminish you because of how you speak, how you look, what equipment you have and so on. Truth is most communities are for conformists, fortunately not all hobbies are community-dependent and like others said - hobby is something you are doing for yourself not for others. And while hobbies are great way for meeting new people - they are not the only way.
    It's usually the few big mouths that ruin it. Car shows around here, I've been to very few, usually don't go so bad (actually I have to remember which county I currently live in). I don't recommend people getting out because of a few morons. Learn to avoid the idiots just like you walk around dogcrap. Hopefully you'll spot them in time.

Covid presents a perfectly valid excuse for telling someone to back off if they get in your grill. If I tell someone they need to keep a respectable distance, and they choose to ignore the warning I will go nuclear. No screwing around. This world has run out of patience for shit stirrers.

Cats spread toxoplasmosis.. I prefer dogs.
    Which is a non-issue unless you are a pregnant women, have a solid organ transplant, or have HIV.

If cats spread anything, besides puke, currently a large problem here, I would be dead, Dead, dead, dead long ago. I currently have 16. 5 of them spend my sleeping hours in my bedroom. This is one of the dumbest comments to be posted here in some time. Billions of people have cats. Please site instances of the problem worldwide.
    It is a rather rare issue that only involves people carrying a fetus inside them or people with non-existent, suppressed and/or damaged immune systems somehow touch cat poo and forget to wash their hands (or something along those lines as the only way to get our good friend Toxoplasma gondii from a cat is the fecal-oral route and yes, it is exactly what it sounds like). People without those issues could lick every cat they meet and live a very long, and healthy life. Another thing to note is that while cats are the definitive host, there are a number of intermediate hosts, including pigs and lambs, so unless ones food is cooked correctly absolutely every time one eats it, one can also get it that way since the cysts exist in the muscle tissue of the intermediate hosts.

...And as to why I have so many, mom died 3 years ago leaving 13 behind. She always kept a VERY clean house, up until the last few months you WOULD'T EVEN KNOW cats lived there, unless you saw 1. I refused to just dump them in shelters. 2 have died, I brought 1 home from the job 6 months ago as she was in danger of getting run over. She unexpectedly had 4 kittens. It is what it is. And it's not a hoarding situation, there aren't cats on my keyboard, another stupid comment.

You try to do something decent in this world and take grief for it. You should be proud.
    I had no idea. My sincere condolences. I think what you did was a very commendable act of charity. If only other people had such compassion and understanding.
    Last edited by Paralel; October 18th, 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries

aaaannnd lets keep this friendly

Don't want a post on a ham radio site about 'considering leaving vintage computer hobbies'
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Ill tell you I am pretty fascinated by packet radio. Wish I knew someone to try that out with. Exciting stuff.

Ill tell you I am pretty fascinated by packet radio. Wish I knew someone to try that out with. Exciting stuff.
    I had only just got into DMR, and only have one radio for it, a GD-77.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet