Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whence Alpha among the hobbyists?

Quote Originally Posted by PG31 View Post
    Andy, I've just given two Alpha's away and I had to leave some behind in work as I didn't have the space in the car to shift them with the other kit i saved. I will have another of our offices to move in the future so I will keep you in mind if I rescue any from there and Leicester would be on the way back from that office.
    That would be brill. The kettle is already on!

Cheers,

Andy.

I have several Alphas and even some Itaniums, all running OpenVMS. I don't power them up that often now.

I have several VAXen as well.

I have a VAXstation running OpenVMS and an AlphaPC 164LX running Tru64 and OpenGenera. The VAXstation is more "interesting" to me and gets more use despite the fact the 164LX is a nice machine. DEC didn't do enough to make the Alpha really stand out.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

At one point I had an Alpha system built up in an ATX 4U rackmount case. I have two ATX-form-factor Alpha boards; I think one is a 164LX and the other a 164SX, I would have to dig them out to know for sure. They're gathering dust at the moment, just like my dozen or so Sun UltraSPARC IIi "Panther" boards. Maybe one day they will be worth selling. They were a pain to get running; need a particular kind of RAM that is a bit rare these days, unbuffered ECC (registered or buffered ECC is a dime a dozen; unbuffered ECC not so much).

I also have an AlphaServer2100 with 4x 275MHz EV4'a. Getting SMP on that box is not easy with anything modern; there was a sliver of time that stock Linux distributions supported SMP on it (it's the 'Sable' architecture; virtually any Alpha Linux will boot and run, but it has to have Sable support built in in order to go SMP). That box has two storageworks modules and a whole slew of drives. It originally came with an EISA three-bus DAC960 RAID card; I put a PCI DAC960 in it; it would run OpenVMS nicely, but just never have had the hankering to do that, even though I joined DECUS way back when to get on the head end of the hobbyist program. With a Matrox Millenium video card it boots to a PC-like console.... I even have one of the funky dual-SCSI plus Fast Ethernet PCI cards for it; only certain cards are bootable from SRM or ARC (now those two three-letter-acronyms bring a shiver.....).

What's interesting to me is that when AMD needed a new bus for Athlon for PC's, do you know what bus was chosen? The EV6 bus from the Alpha 21264. In theory it could have been possible to drop a 21264 into a Slot A or Socket A system if the 21264 had the correct pinout.

For what it's worth, I also have the last Windows 2000 beta for Alpha processors in my collection.... along with all the other betas up to that point as part of a multi-year MSDN subscription, most still unopened.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

I have several Alphas in a working condition. With VMS, Ultrix and Tru64. Most of them are Workstation type ones.
    Some AlphaStation 250, 3000/400, Alphaserver 300, 800, 1000, 2000, DS10, XP1000, Multia and some AXPpci 33. Will receive a Jensen and a ES40.
    This do to my job working with PDP11, VAX, Alpha and Itanium, now X86 I do have flavours from all kind. Newest setup is a DSSI Cluster with two VAX 4000/100a and a HSD10.
    Next is to setup one Alphastation 250 with RedHat Linux.

Blog Entries

Just starting my Alpha adventure (thanks to PG31)

All machines were diskless so I have replaced the drives, now need to install an operating system.

First one I am thinking of Unix and have an ISO image of DEC unix 4.0. Not written it to a CD yet (one of the gears in the player had split and is currently curing) but I note that magicISO thinks its an invalid image.

Not written anything for an Alpha to a CD before, should it be straight forward write of the ISO to the disk then boot from the console ?
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Hi Gary, I've tried burning DEC Unix 4.0B, 4.0E and OSF-1 2.0b using windows 10 native burn but I get same error. Perhaps it is because the ISO is not ISO-9660? I believe you should be able to copy it on a MAC or Linux machine with dd but I don't own a MAC and I'm not near a Linux/Unix box to test today.

Blog Entries

Thanks Paul for the info

Downloaded CDburnerXP onto the workshop XP machine and that didn't complain about the iso at all.

Booted from the CD and now Unix is being installed (ETA 45 minutes to 2 hours !)

Loved the error message WARNING: preposterous time in TOY clock - check and reset the date
    Last edited by Gary C; October 23rd, 2020 at 07:13 AM.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Glad to hear it Gary, CDburnerXP was recommended to me by a VMS guru so thought I would try it with OSF-1 and Unix. I'm just burning the OSF-1 2.0b disk myself.

Edit: I can confirm the OSF-1 2.0b image boots on an Alphastation as well.
    Last edited by PG31; October 23rd, 2020 at 07:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PG31 View Post
    Glad to hear it Gary, CDburnerXP was recommended to me by a VMS guru so thought I would try it with OSF-1 and Unix. I'm just burning the OSF-1 2.0b disk myself.

Edit: I can confirm the OSF-1 2.0b image boots on an Alphastation as well.
    Just be carefull with CD Burner XP it has some nasty spyware in the default download. ImageBurn also works.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals