Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whence Alpha among the hobbyists?

Thanks Dave,I looked in CDburnerXP and it possibly contains Open Candy spyware. I've removed CDburnerXP now from my PC although I didn't just take the default options. So now it is fingers crossed, I've looked for any files associated to Open Candy and any references in the registry with nothing found.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PG31 View Post
    Thanks Dave,I looked in CDburnerXP and it possibly contains Open Candy spyware. I've removed CDburnerXP now from my PC although I didn't just take the default options. So now it is fingers crossed, I've looked for any files associated to Open Candy and any references in the registry with nothing found.
    If you to downloads and click on "More Download Options" then there is a "Default installer(Without installCore)" to avoid...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up on CDburnerXP. Doesn't seem to be present on the copy I have, but will check carefully.

One problem I didn't expect.

The Alphaserver DS10 uses an IDE drive, which is good because they are really cheap.

However, it looks as if the drive used by DEC/Compaq had its IDE plug on the other side of the drive ?. With the ribbon plugged into the CD drive just above it, there is no way the other connector can be plugged into the Hard Drive.

There are three drive bays for 3.5" drives, but the installed ribbon cable can't reach any of them, and one from a PC isn't long enough to reach from one side of the machine where the drives are to the drive bays.

Stumped for now
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Hi Gary, Might be cheaper to get a supported SCSI card. I think I may have a few at home that have been pulled from various Alpha's. I'll check it out and if I have one I can arrange to get one to you. Do none of the other Alpha's that you have contain a SCSI card that you could borrow for now? The PCI card that you would need amongst others is a KZPBA-CY (CX?) it is actually a Qlogic QLA1041. Also if this is one of the Alpha's that we had with a fibre channel HBA it may have been configured for boot from SAN.
    Last edited by PG31; October 24th, 2020 at 06:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi, yes one of the others has a SCSI card, but I just happen to have a 20gb 7200 rpm IDE drive that should match and I can make up an 80 core 40 way cable so its not a huge problem, just a bit odd that there isn't enough gap between one connector and the other to make it easy to plug into both drives. It even has another connector further along adjacent to the floppy drive but nowhere to site a HD. Must have had differ

However, I have an issue with it starting. Probably a config issue but the fans (CPU, case and PSU) give a jerk when the power button is pressed but then stop straightaway. Suspect its an interlock issue somewhere or DIP setting.

This though is what I enjoy, the finding out and overcoming problems.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

If you can get a SCSI drive and card for the main storage you will probably be happier. The IDE design on the DS10 was fairly poor. It won't even do DMA, it's a PIO port*. Fast enough for slow CD and optical drives, but way slower than you would expect for a hard drive. If IDE is all you have, it's better than nothing but be warned , it's slow. Most DS10s shipped with a IDE CD and a SCSI card for the disk so it's not surprising that the DEC/Compaq IDE cable isn't handy for an IDE HD and CD drive. I haven't looked at mine, but did you check the position for the other places a disk can go? There are three spots - 1 under the floppy drive, 1 where the CD is spotted and one behind that on top of the
    P/S.

* At least with OpenVMS. Digital Unix or BSD or whatever might have a DMS driver for the IDE chipset.

Blog Entries

Yep, checked them all and it wont fit.

But need to get it to power up first.

Might see if the remote console chip is responding as a first go.

Memory is in the right config (bank 0 filled), have to check the DIP switches and clear the NRV (new battery as well maybe ?)

Not really started yet so it maybe something obvious but any suggestions greatly received.
    Current fleet

When I replaced the Dallas chip on my DS10's with Glitch Work's RTC Replacement Module, I had to do a couple boot cycles to get the NVRAM cleared, reset correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post
    I haven't looked at mine, but did you check the position for the other places a disk can go? There are three spots - 1 under the floppy drive, 1 where the CD is spotted and one behind that on top of the P/S.
    Doh!

There are four spots and didn't see the one below the floppy. Fits in there perfectly (on mine there is one below and one above the CD, one above the PSU and one below the floppy)

Anyway, anyone know about the RMC ?

I can see that the PIC is running, and initially when I plugged into COM1 I was getting a remote echo to anything I typed (including ^[^[) but no RMC>> prompt. Powered down and back but now no echo (PIC is still running).

I imagine the RMC is password protected ?, can I reset it back to a default ?
    Last edited by Gary C; October 25th, 2020 at 06:40 AM.
    Current fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Doh!

There are four spots and didn't see the one below the floppy. Fits in there perfectly (on mine there is one below and one above the CD, one above the PSU and one below the floppy)
    Yeah, I counted the spots around the CD as one. There were two options for a DS10, one was a cage that held two of the Compaq 3.5" hot swap SCSI drive trays and the other was the more usual cage with two 5.25" spots and a 3.5" spot below that. Most DS10's that I have seen had a CD drive in the upper 5.25" spot with the lower blank or sometimes a SCSI DAT tape drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Doh!
    Anyway, anyone know about the RMC ?

I can see that the PIC is running, and initially when I plugged into COM1 I was getting a remote echo to anything I typed (including ^[^[) but no RMC>> prompt. Powered down and back but now no echo (PIC is still running).

I imagine the RMC is password protected ?, can I reset it back to a default ?
    If you don't have it, get the "AlphaServer DS10/DS10L, AlphaStation DS10 Console Reference " either MANX or VAXHaven

MANX: https://manx-docs.org/collections/an...10S-CR.D01.pdf
    VAXHaven: https://vaxhaven.com/images/5/52/EK-DS10S-CR.D01.pdf (Check out VAXHaven for a wealth of DS10 and other manuals)

Chapter 3 is all about the RMC.

If the NVRAM got reset by a dead battery, I'd think the password may not be set any more. Have you done a couple reboots? Power off at least once?

To get the RMC prompt you need ^[^[rmc not just the ^[^[. It wasn't clear if you had typed that or not.

Anything on the status LED's on the front?

Section 3.12 and Appendix A of the previously mentioned manual covers the RMC reset which requires moving a jumper on the mainboard