Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up a mail server?

I used to run exim for the WVU math department, but that was yearssss ago.

It's really easy to get blacklisted, and really hard to get un-blacklisted. All it takes is one bozo on your network to get infected with a spam worm and you're into a whole-body headache. IMO, it's too much aggravation to fool with unless you're getting paid to do it. :P And this was in the early 2000s. I 'spect it's even more of a pain in the butt nowadays.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, PS/2 Model 25-286 ISA expansion riser, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)

Thank you to everyone for your constructive responses. As I'm hearing from some of you, this may be too much of a pain to get working, while others say it's worth a try. Since I am still seriously considering setting up a mail server, I'll likely do some experimenting in the next few days. If it doesn't work out then I'm SOL I suppose (you can't win 'em all).
    Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
    Compaq Contura 3/25, Any 8088/8086 or 286-based computer with a 3.5'' 1.44MB floppy drive, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Send a PM if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I used to run exim for the WVU math department, but that was yearssss ago.

It's really easy to get blacklisted, and really hard to get un-blacklisted. All it takes is one bozo on your network to get infected with a spam worm and you're into a whole-body headache. IMO, it's too much aggravation to fool with unless you're getting paid to do it. :P And this was in the early 2000s. I 'spect it's even more of a pain in the butt nowadays.
    Spamhaus blocks direct to mx email by default, so chances are it will never even make it to its destination.

Blog Entries

It's easier if you have a domain and use a hosting service. Then it becomes mostly a matter of a mail relay.

Quote Originally Posted by TH2002 View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your constructive responses. As I'm hearing from some of you, this may be too much of a pain to get working, while others say it's worth a try. Since I am still seriously considering setting up a mail server, I'll likely do some experimenting in the next few days. If it doesn't work out then I'm SOL I suppose (you can't win 'em all).
    Oh, just do it. Google some article, follow some instructions, and let 'er rip.

Right now, you don't have a mail server.

Worst case in the near future? You still won't have a mail server, so there's nothing to lose here save $5-10 in hosting fees if you decide to plonk it on a small machine on the web.

I haven't done it simply because I don't even have a domain or anything like that. I'd certainly give it a try if I could bother to go the first step.

Blog Entries

I've run my own mail server since 1998, after permanently losing touch with online friends having changed email addresses 3 times in 6 years due to job moves and folding companies. I wanted a permanent address that I controlled that my friends could always use to contact me. This goal has been met, but it hasn't always been smooth sailing. Getting on spam blacklists and trying to get off of them is one hurdle; configuring mail delivery and anti-spam is supposed to get easier but somehow manages to get harder year after year; needing to pay for dedicated hosting for your mail (and other stuff) server is a cost to consider.

If you aren't already versed in Unix, I would recommend against setting up your own mail server.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)