Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company management using Windows 2000 in 2020

Cool Company management using Windows 2000 in 2020

I know of a small handyman company that a friend of mine is involved with in the area. This company has one specific computer to do all things related to the business and this computer is a Pentium III based computer running Windows 2000. All there business dealings online or off are done through this deralect computer which is even still rocking it's original CRT monitor. Amazing what these old systems can still do if you know how to work them.

Blog Entries

The only part of that making me a bit wary is "online". Better have a good firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The only part of that making me a bit wary is "online". Better have a good firewall.
    from what I've heard it runs through multiple proxies a VPN service and they have an active firewall so I think they should be ok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861 View Post
    I know of a small handyman company that a friend of mine is involved with in the area. This company has one specific computer to do all things related to the business and this computer is a Pentium III based computer running Windows 2000. All there business dealings online or off are done through this deralect computer which is even still rocking it's original CRT monitor. Amazing what these old systems can still do if you know how to work them.
    Just curious. Has anyone every mentioned upgrading and do they have any sort of backup mechanism in place? There's a few threads here about some machine shops still running DOS based systems for NC. Like you, I think it's great.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Its also amazing how often such companies go under when such a computer fails! Its fine using such old kit until it falls over. Personally I would look at putting it in a Virtual Machine.....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Just curious. Has anyone every mentioned upgrading and do they have any sort of backup mechanism in place? There's a few threads here about some machine shops still running DOS based systems for NC. Like you, I think it's great.
    All the important documents are backed up to older high quality 720K floppies so those are safe for the most part. and the HDD gets backed up to a server from what I can gather.

Blog Entries

While 720K floppies are pretty good (I have perhaps a thousand of them), I recommend backup to 9-track open-reel 1/2" tape.

Blog Entries

All the important documents are backed up to older high quality 720K floppies so those are safe for the most part. and the HDD gets backed up to a server from what I can gather.
    yes 720k is good, but I still wonder if they ever tried a recovery. I always say start with your Disaster Recovery and work out what you need to save. If the server has applications installed, recovering them to newer hardware could be fun...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

That is really cool! Love seeing old hardware and software still in use. Windows 2000 rocks!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

I wonder sometimes why it is often assumed that people, even businesses, using old computers are somehow lacking in the ability to take care of their security and data in ways appropriate to them.

While Windows 2000 is not inherently secure, it is not hard to secure a Windows 2000 system. And data backup to 3.5 inch floppy is not hazardous or problematic, and depending on the data sets being used, is probably not even that much time consuming.

If old systems do the job the user needs, and fulfill their purposes, then sticking with them makes perfect sense.