Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming on a massive CRT monitor

Default Gaming on a massive CRT monitor

So since around 2014 I have been on only CRT monitors and TVs after discovering that flatpanel screens were the cause of my headaches while gaming. Recently I got a computer modern enough to run (some) modern games. With this I decided to go big or go home and paired it up with a 19" Korea Data Systems eXtreme Flat. This has let to an amazing gaming experience. Rather it's running at 2048x1536 and enjoying the sheer definition in the screen or playing some FPS's at 800x600 @185Hz this has been an amazing experience. I seriosly never want to go back to flimsy flatscreens again

Blog Entries

That's odd--it was CRTs that gave me headaches--and I was using 21" jugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    That's odd--it was CRTs that gave me headaches--and I was using 21" jugs.
    Could they have been maybe a bit too worn out and soft without you realizing?

Blog Entries

Top-of-the-line Trinitrons; I don't think so. CRTs look flickery to me even at 70Hz refresh.

Blog Entries

Try a DLT projector on call of duty with life size graphics.

In a dark room with a white wall, its quite something.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Top-of-the-line Trinitrons; I don't think so. CRTs look flickery to me even at 70Hz refresh.
    "even at"? 70 Hz was very low and what you got with standard VGA. Flicker-free wasn't achieved until at least 85 Hz.

Blog Entries

Now you understand how long ago I switched to LCD. 1200x1600 at 85 Hz wasn't a reality for quite some time. My first big LCD monitor was a NEC 21" circa 2000. Very expensive. It's really hard to beat the sharpness of an LCD running at native resolution.

Before that, it was fixed-frequency workstation monitors. Consumer monitors were garbage for a long time.

Hm I have no issue with 60Hz on a sharp CRT. Now interlaced content on the other hand drives me crazy

Now you understand how long ago I switched to LCD. 1200x1600 at 85 Hz wasn't a reality for quite some time. My first big LCD monitor was a NEC 21" circa 2000. Very expensive. It's really hard to beat the sharpness of an LCD running at native resolution.

Before that, it was fixed-frequency workstation monitors. Consumer monitors were garbage for a long time.
    The sharp and pixalated nature of LCDs is exactly what makes them look terrible to me. I like things to look fluent and smooth. Plus of coarse CRT color accuracy is beast. And +85Hz gaming is amazing as well

Blog Entries

I'll second the idea that LCD color resolution isn't as fine as that of glass jugs, but all in all, I find LCDs easier on the eyes.