Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming on a massive CRT monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'll second the idea that LCD color resolution isn't as fine as that of glass jugs, but all in all, I find LCDs easier on the eyes.
    Fair enough. LCDs to me only serve the purpose of conserving space. If I don't need the extra desk space than it's worth the CRT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861 View Post
    The sharp and pixalated nature of LCDs is exactly what makes them look terrible to me. I like things to look fluent and smooth. Plus of coarse CRT color accuracy is beast. And +85Hz gaming is amazing as well
    I have a gaming setup which uses a 27" Asus ROG Strix 4K monitor, which is ancient by today's standards (2015), that's teamed with a Nvidia RTX 2070 (2020) video card. There are no prominent 'sharp' outlines or 'pixelization' as you mentioned in this setup. When you are playing a high end game it's like watching a movie - very smooth and very colorful. If you get a chance, visit a computer store and take a look at some of the new technology. BTW, my old SX has a 640x480 VGA tied to an old Dell 15" LCD that is way better than the original Tandy CGA which could make you rub your eyes after a hour or so.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

My first big-screen EGA display was from a Daisy workstation. Weighed about 80 lbs. My desk sagged under its weight.

Blog Entries

800x600 @185Hz
    Please explain.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I probably have that exact same monitor, KDS 19" flat, virtually unused since bought new in 02 I think. I imagine it can do 85hz ...

One thing it can do that a much more recent Asus 21.5" flat panel can't is display the Debian 5 login screen. Could it be I was using that when I did the install? Can't remember. And not sure that would make the difference.

The KDS image quality isn't great, probably good enough for vintage gaming at least. But it's a lot better then the 21" Radius crt I picked up this past March. Had to drive up a mountain to get it. It wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I probably have that exact same monitor, KDS 19" flat, virtually unused since bought new in 02 I think. I imagine it can do 85hz ...

One thing it can do that a much more recent Asus 21.5" flat panel can't is display the Debian 5 login screen. Could it be I was using that when I did the install? Can't remember. And not sure that would make the difference.

The KDS image quality isn't great, probably good enough for vintage gaming at least. But it's a lot better then the 21" Radius crt I picked up this past March. Had to drive up a mountain to get it. It wasn't fun.

My KDS doesn't look like anything serious but it does do a great job of providing an amazing picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Before that, it was fixed-frequency workstation monitors. Consumer monitors were garbage for a long time.
    With what hardware were you using ff monitors?

Consumer monitors that large typically were trinitrons. Many were ff and used with Macs. One exception that comes to mind is the original NEC multisyncs which were available in 19". Honestly I never used one, I've seen them in operation briefly. If they were anything like their smaller siblings ( and smaller crts are always sharper then larger ones) they couldn't have been that bad. What I wouldn't do for a 19" NEC multiscanner.

My KDS doesn't look like anything serious but it does do a great job of providing an amazing picture.
    Perhaps we have different models. Mine could use a better tube.

Blog Entries

PC stuff, with custom-modified video cards. There used to be an outfit that specialized in this. On the EGA, I made a sync combiner for the Daisy/Mitsubishi monitor for RGB+S and kept the thing at the same H+V frequencies. Worked pretty well.

Sun monitors were popular, but I liked the HP workstation Trinitrons for VGA.

My first color monitor (CGA was too primitive for my eyes) was a 12" Sony Multiscan, with all the clicky relays, driven by an Everex EGA card. It could reach 800x600. I hung onto a 12" Mitsubishi Diamondscan with all of the various input options and cables.

Probably Chinese are still making CRT TVs, so technically is it possible to buy new CRT in different size. But I don't known if the quality is better or worse than used "high-end" models of well known brands...