Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Issues with Gateway 2000 P4D-66 desktop PC

  1. #1

    Question Issues with Gateway 2000 P4D-66 desktop PC

    MVC-784F.JPG

    So I just today got my hands on this lovely 486 based gateway desktop PC. I'm having 2 major problems. It's having these two IRQ errors (as pictured) as well as I am unable to get a hard drive to work with the system. Any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    At the top of the photo, I can make out, 'Real time clock error'. Any other errors not in the photo?

    The Internet indicates that the P4D-66's motherboard has a Dallas RTC module, one that contains a battery. The web page at [here] suggests that if the RTC module's battery is discharged enough, a battery error is displayed. Seeing a battery error?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    At the top of the photo, I can make out, 'Real time clock error'. Any other errors not in the photo?

    The Internet indicates that the P4D-66's motherboard has a Dallas RTC module, one that contains a battery. The web page at [here] suggests that if the RTC module's battery is discharged enough, a battery error is displayed. Seeing a battery error?

    Yeah it's realtime clock battery is dead dead. It won't hold the time for even a restart. How would I get a new one though?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,801
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    You could find a replacement Dallas RTC but many have been sitting in warehouses for a long time leading to having mostly discharged batteries. Check which model is on the motherboard. The supplier I would often buy such from indicates it should cost about $10.

    The other option is to carefully cut open the plastic shell and solder a new battery to replace the failed one. An example of how to do it is at https://classic-computers.org.nz/blo...ttery-chip.htm

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    You could find a replacement Dallas RTC but many have been sitting in warehouses for a long time leading to having mostly discharged batteries. Check which model is on the motherboard. The supplier I would often buy such from indicates it should cost about $10.

    The other option is to carefully cut open the plastic shell and solder a new battery to replace the failed one. An example of how to do it is at https://classic-computers.org.nz/blo...ttery-chip.htm
    Ill go over and check the model in a little while. However none of this explains how to get it to detect a HDD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861 View Post
    However none of this explains how to get it to detect a HDD
    A lot of people think, "If the CMOS battery is dead, all that means is the CMOS SETUP (and clock) information will be lost when I turn off the computer. So if I keep the computer powered on, I should be able to setup/configure the CMOS SETUP and get the computer going."

    For some motherboards, that is not the case. One example (of a few) is at [here]. It is possible that you may need to replace the Dallas module (or replace its battery) before you can proceed further.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    A lot of people think, "If the CMOS battery is dead, all that means is the CMOS SETUP (and clock) information will be lost when I turn off the computer. So if I keep the computer powered on, I should be able to setup/configure the CMOS SETUP and get the computer going."

    For some motherboards, that is not the case. One example (of a few) is at [here]. It is possible that you may need to replace the Dallas module (or replace its battery) before you can proceed further.
    I've noticed that the IDE controller defaults to off. When I try to turn it on and restart it turns itself off again. This is even the case when all other modified settings were successfully saved. Does that still sound like a dead battery case?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861 View Post
    I've noticed that the IDE controller defaults to off. When I try to turn it on and restart it turns itself off again. This is even the case when all other modified settings were successfully saved. Does that still sound like a dead battery case?
    Taken in isolation, no, but we have seen some pretty weird stuff over the years. Factor in other symptoms such as "It won't hold the time for even a restart." and a 'Real time clock error' message being displayed, fingers start pointing at the Dallas RTC/CMOS module (and supporting circuitry).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Northeastern US
    Posts
    9

    Default

    To add on to this, I recently (2 years ago) got a replacement RTC for my 486 from Digi-key

    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...DS12887/956874

    They also have one with a C in the model number, but that stores four digit years and I don't know how that would interact with motherboards of this vintage

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •