Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did they stop making PC games that don't require internet connection?

Default When did they stop making PC games that don't require internet connection?

I myself have not regularly played newly released PC games since the mid 2000's and haven't completed building a powerful enough computer yet to play newer games.

I'm the kind of person who will play the exact same game for 15 years, so I need to be rest assured that I can keep playing my games forever. I refuse to buy and play any PC game that requires online connection because I don't want to lose access to playing the game. The Windows version I would play them on will one day be really unsafe and unusable to go online with when web browsers and antivirus stop supporting it. Plus the game developer companies, game servers, and gaming websites may disappear one day.

Luckily Everquest still exists online and you can play it. What about obscure games? I personally wouldn't rely on the internet to always have access to my game forever. That is why I need physical copies or digital downloads that are internet free. Then all I have to worry about is collecting PC hardware and backuping my data to mediums so I can play my favorite games for literally the rest of my life!

I just bought Skyrim for the first time, giving it to a friend to play first before I jump on the boat and buy my own copy. I didn't read the packaging carefully, it does require internet connection to activate and you need a Steam account to play it. That game was released in 2011, I'm surprised the transition to games being online started that early on.

When exactly did they stop making offline games? What years? Once I know, I can buy the best gaming graphics card relevant to the games I want to play and never need to upgrade to a better card - if there really is no more internet free games being made anymore. Ahh, it sure feels nice to finally stop upgrading my computers to play games. Screw you money hungry tech companies!
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 18th, 2020 at 02:03 AM.

Hmm I don't known exact that but if You want to known my opinion.

The problem is while I bought last years some (new) games for even less than 30 cents, that at least some may not require Internet connection, most box versions for x86/x86-64 require Internet connection. On other side of "Mars" we have GOG which generally is doing good job offering often new titles that You can just download and play without Internet connection. Of course same developers are saying some excuses that GOG "don't have some internet function, so they can't offer it on GOG, despite buyers wish". Sadly even CD Projekt, owner of GOG despite all good things sometimes have stup. ideas like offering box x86-64 version of Cyberpunk, that according to newspaper rumours may have nearly everything what I like in box edition but no Blu-ray/DVD with game(!), You must download from Internet (GOG)...

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Exactly at 12:01 a.m mean greenwich time the day I became interested. It's all a plot to keep me out of the system. Because they know once in I'll start kicking coolies and taking names.

I now have a brand new gtx 750 ti to plug into my xeon monster uATX board. Tell them I'm coming ..

(New) Games not requiring an internet connection to play still exist. You have to get them from some place like GOG, itch.io, mangagamer, DLSite, gamejolt, etc.

Obtaining any PC game without having an internet connection is a bit tougher. Do DVD releases still exist?

Blog Entries

New high end titles are 50-100GB+ so no, DVD releases do not exist and you need fast internet to just download the games anymore.

Retail boxes used to have a DVD inside that had just the STEAM installer (Doom 2016 for example) but newer titles just have a slip of paper with the game code and serial and you have to install STEAM on your own (or whatever game companies online app is). Even stuff like the Command and Conquer archive are just empty boxes and you have to download the games.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I refuse to buy and play any PC game that requires online connection because I don't want to lose access to playing the game. The Windows version I would play them on will one day be really unsafe and unusable to go online with when web browsers and antivirus stop supporting it. Plus the game developer companies, game servers, and gaming websites may disappear one day.
    Exactly. More than anything else, having the website/developer disappear is the greatest threat.

I went on a couple recent game buying sprees picking up physical games which do not indicate there is any need for an online connection. Some were quite old (1990s) and others stretched into the 2000s (I guess in tech terms that is "quite old" too). On physical games, my guess would be anything which can run pre-XP would not require online activation so that would take you to the early 2000s. Beyond that, you have to check the system requirements.

Joe

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

In reality I thought some games have an offline mode. But what do I know.

Blog Entries

The Hive Mind wants / needs us to stay connected with the collective! Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    The Hive Mind wants / needs us to stay connected with the collective! Resistance is futile.
    Yes. Remember, "THE CLOUD" is a revolutionary new idea in the computer field. Up until this brilliant development, no one ever thought of having data centralized in a remote location.

Oh wait...that was called a mainframe. Or maybe I was just dreaming.

Welcome to the new normal.

It is ridiculous but I am told that the new kids on the block (Millenials and Gen Z) prefer it that way. That is, they don't want to bother with boxes, shelf space, and that they want instant on now, now, NOW anywhere, any time, any place! It is not just PC gaming that is suffering - console gaming is getting shafted as well. The new generation of consoles are actually offering disc less versions (i.e. just a HDD to dl over the internet and that is it). Even when games are delivered on disc many times there are 0 day patches that are basically replacement of the whole game (i.e. not just a patch but a re-downloading of the game).

You don't buy software anymore - you rent it.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!