Image Map Image Map

Thread: Macintosh II desktop wont boot.

Default Macintosh II desktop wont boot.

Greetings all !!

My Macintosh II desktop (original mac) is acting strange. It was working fine after recap but now, when I power it up, I get the welcome chime (no death chime) and get a white screen but before the mouse cursor shows up, the screen goes black and nothing else happens. I replaced both batteries a few months back. This Mac requires a battery to power up (which is working) but again, no chime of death. Happy chime but nothing else. I have tried my hard drive in my other Macintosh II and it's fine. I have reseated RAM. I have tried another video card but yield same results. Not sure what else to check ?

Thanks,
    Mike

Bad PSU maybe?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

If I had to guess it's a ram issue.

You'll get a Sad Mac when RAM is bad. It's checked whenever the system is started.

Thanks guys, think it turned out to be dirty RAM contacts as when I switched the RAM, it works ! I install the original RAM in other Macintosh II board I have and it started to work too so, RAM seems good. I'm thinking loose or dirty RAM socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    You'll get a Sad Mac when RAM is bad. It's checked whenever the system is started.
    Macs don't do an exhaustive memory test when booting, they count the amount of memory present and that's about it. If they did check the memory every time they booted, it'd take forever for them to boot.

A Mac can still boot with bad memory if the bad memory address is outside of where the system heap is stored.

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Thanks guys, think it turned out to be dirty RAM contacts as when I switched the RAM, it works ! I install the original RAM in other Macintosh II board I have and it started to work too so, RAM seems good. I'm thinking loose or dirty RAM socket.
    I'd recommend hosing both the RAM slots and the memory modules themselves with Deoxit Gold G5.