Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint-matching a TRS-80 Model II?

Default Paint-matching a TRS-80 Model II?

Anyone recommend a rattlecan paint that closely approximates that used on the TRS-80 Model II?

My small-town local hardware store doesn't have much of a selection, so I'm going to have to order something I guess.

I've been fixing up a mashed-up-in-shipping Model II keyboard with Bondo and JB Weld the same as I do broken motorcycle fairings, and I think it's gonna turn out pretty alright. Although I was a little worried at first, lol. Just about to the point of priming and painting, though.

Thanks, folks.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, PS/2 Model 25-286 ISA expansion riser, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)

See Posting #12 at:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...+3+Paint+color

The challenge is that TRS-80 Mercedes Silver has tiny metallic flakes. You can see it in the picture here of a Model III hand rest. Trying to find the right shade of silver along with the right size and type of flake is near impossible with off the shelf paint. One of these days I'm going to take a Model III to the local auto paint place and ask them to try to reproduce it. I'll be "that guy"

Larry

funny how after years past, I was the one that ended up doing the "paint matching" for TRS-80 model 3's, brought the top case to a local PPG place and I had cans to use in no time at all (ie hours), it doesn't cost the same as "off the shelve" (~25$/can) but its perfect match. as for the Mercedez Benz silver 1978, many have repeated the rumour, and I check with PPG guy, and that silver is very dark so I have much doubt this ever was a proper colour to start with.

word of advice:
    I don't know your background and I am not doubting your skills,
    But if your method to paint the skins of your ABS Plastic Model II are not properly prepared for what, and how you will paint it with, you will end up with something the like Mr. 8-bit video dude that totally made a mess of his colour computer for the whole world to see.

Good luck finding a close match off the shelves.

example of matched cases I have done. ( I have done 7 now these are not all the same computer)

Last edited by Patrick Bureau; October 19th, 2020 at 04:16 AM.
    Gaming: i7-8700K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2060, Dual 27" LG IPS Monitors.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, Internal: 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD & FreHD HDD Combo, External: 360K & 720K FDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-210
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/ - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/

Patrick,
    What is your recommended Paint from PPS? I didn't locate any previous mention of it in any threads?

Thanks.

Larry

I think you should paint it gold to go with the keyboard badge. Embrace its uniqueness.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, Internal: 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD & FreHD HDD Combo, External: 360K & 720K FDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-210
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/ - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    Patrick, What is your recommended Paint from PPS? I didn't locate any previous mention of it in any threads?
    I just go to PPG and hand him there case and I get cans in return from a quart order, I don't know what make/brand or colour code, as this guy is 70 years old, uses no computers, still writes his bill by hand pads,
    but he's a "Platinum distributor" and almost all the car body shops go to him, I cannot provide a colour code because there is no colour code, he's an expert at matching paint with flake,
    Maybe one day I'll go to a place that does "colour coding" and try to get an accurate paint code.
    Last edited by Patrick Bureau; October 19th, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

GOLD IS BEST!

(Remember, after Gandalf the Gray fell to the center of Middle Earth during his battle with the Balrog he transformed into Gandalf the White. Seems only apropos that your Model II should likewise go through a color shift after its near-death experience. Tolkien really blew it, marketing-wise, not making him Gandalf the Gold instead...)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bureau View Post
    fexample of matched cases I have done. ( I have done 7 now these are not all the same computer)
    I notice the finish is a bit different. Do you think that's due to how it was applied or a factor of the paint itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bureau View Post

word of advice:
    I don't know your background and I am not doubting your skills,
    But if your method to paint the skins of your ABS Plastic Model II are not properly prepared for what, and how you will paint it with, you will end up with something the like Mr. 8-bit video dude that totally made a mess of his colour computer for the whole world to see.
    I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means. I'll be spraying the topcoat overtop a layer of sandable primer. The old paint will be scuffed up all over with 150 grit sandpaper so (hopefully) the primer will adhere very well. Is there some trick to painting ABS that I am unaware of?

PS: Those boxen of yours are really beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I think you should paint it gold to go with the keyboard badge. Embrace its uniqueness.
    You know....... I kinda really want to do that now. But I am wondering how many people will show up at my shack with torches and pitchforks if I do. :3

If there's no off the shelf paint that matches (and if I'll be murdered by the Big Tandy community if I paint it with gold flake (and then hang dollar sign gold chain necklaces all over it and give it an AK-47 and an Adidas track suit and install the Russian version of TRSDOS-II)) then I reckon I'll just do it with boring semigloss gray. :3
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, PS/2 Model 25-286 ISA expansion riser, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)