Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: MFM hard drives

Default Wanted: MFM hard drives

Hello, as you've probably concluded from my username, I'm a bit of a hard drive junkie

I'm on the hunt for MFM or RLL hard drives. I'm mainly looking for broken ones to tinker around with, but I'm also looking for good ones as well just to add to my collection since I only have one at this point.

Blog Entries

Just curious, why just MFM/RLL drives? Why not SCSI and ESDI?

Well I'd never deny the offer to take hard drives off somebody's hands if they're giving it away, but I'm looking for those drives for a couple of reasons: mainly because I only have one MFM drive, but I'm also looking for broken ones because I want to try a few things on them that I would never do to my one working drive.

Would you tinker with an ST-251 that has no bad sectors?

Blog Entries

Probably--I never fooled with the low-end drives much. Most of mine were big Miniscribe/Matxor/CDC FH drives. I think the smallest I have is an old Quantum Q540--still a FH drive. FH SCSI drives should still be pretty plentiful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ST251 View Post
    Hello, as you've probably concluded from my username, I'm a bit of a hard drive junkie

I'm on the hunt for MFM or RLL hard drives. I'm mainly looking for broken ones to tinker around with, but I'm also looking for good ones as well just to add to my collection since I only have one at this point.
    I know these are expensive,

https://www.pdp8.net/mfm/mfm.shtml

but if you are going to play with MFM drives, you really need to have something to read and analyze them. Without one of these you usually need the original controller to read them...
    ...you also don't say where you always usefull when shipping bits...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Probably--I never fooled with the low-end drives much. Most of mine were big Miniscribe/Matxor/CDC FH drives. I think the smallest I have is an old Quantum Q540--still a FH drive. FH SCSI drives should still be pretty plentiful.
    I'm hoping to find a full height drive myself. Hopefully it'll fit in this case I have though

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I know these are expensive,

https://www.pdp8.net/mfm/mfm.shtml

but if you are going to play with MFM drives, you really need to have something to read and analyze them. Without one of these you usually need the original controller to read them...
    ...you also don't say where you always usefull when shipping bits...
    I actually already own a computer with an MFM controller, so there are no worries on that front. It's a 486 that I got to work with a WD MFM card. As for where I am, I'm in the north eastern United States.

I have an ST-251 MLC 1 that works most of the time. Occasionally it won't spin up and I can't be bothered to figure out why. Once it's going it works perfectly, but I retired it out of caution

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I have an ST-251 MLC 1 that works most of the time. Occasionally it won't spin up and I can't be bothered to figure out why. Once it's going it works perfectly, but I retired it out of caution
    How much would you want for it?

Say $10 + ship? I'd be open to a trade too if you have any gear to unload

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Say $10 + ship? I'd be open to a trade too if you have any gear to unload
    That's reasonable so shall we call it a deal?

What kind of stuff are you looking for? I doubt I have anything you're looking for but it doesn't hurt to ask.