Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack floppy drive on windows 10?

Default Backpack floppy drive on windows 10?

Would it be possible to run a backpack floppy drive on a windows 10 pc?

Blog Entries

You'd have to write your own drivers--I'm not sure how Win10 plays with the parallel port. That being said, nothing in the BP is time-critical, so in theory, it should be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You'd have to write your own drivers--I'm not sure how Win10 plays with the parallel port. That being said, nothing in the BP is time-critical, so in theory, it should be possible.
    I'm using a usb floppy at the moment but it's temperamental at the best of times.

Blog Entries

Big difference. A USB floppy essentially has what amounts to SCSI smarts built in--you can't change the standard format.

The backpack, on the other hand is a "dumb" device, with a MCU to handle the parallel port handshaking, an FDC (usually a DP8473) and some SRAM for the FDC to DMA into. So a driver essentially includes the FDC operations in addition to handshaking. Some years ago, I posted the source for a simple DOS driver for the backpack.

Blog Entries

If nothing is time critical, so the BP has a sector or track buffer, then I suspect you could get the data off via virtualization.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

How well does virtualization work with accessing the parallel port under Windows 10? I'm not even sure that a lot of the dodges that worked under XP (e.g. giveio.sys) will work under Win10. Has anyone tried?

Solved my immediate problem. Found a WfW 3.11 CD and installed via backpack CD-ROM on my PS/1

Blog Entries

How well does virtualization work with accessing the parallel port under Windows 10? I'm not even sure that a lot of the dodges that worked under XP (e.g. giveio.sys) will work under Win10. Has anyone tried?
    I have XP running under VMWare and can program my old Spartan 3 demo boards using the parallel port JTAG adaptor. The virtualization seems to work pretty well in that the port is actually a PCI-E board.
    The board is a really only board and it programmed by downloading a boot loader which then programs the EEprom on the board. I was suprised it worked but it did.

The one thing I couldn't get to work was an interface to store data in Williams tubes, but it is very time critical as it needs to count 10 microsecond pulses and uses a machine code loop. Its close but it looses data.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    The one thing I couldn't get to work was an interface to store data in Williams tubes, but it is very time critical as it needs to count 10 microsecond pulses and uses a machine code loop. Its close but it looses data.
    That's what MCUs are for!

As far as parallel port devices go, I have a thin client set up with DOS/Win98SE networked in. Cheap and simple--a case of throwing hardware at a software issue.

Blog Entries

That's what MCUs are for!

As far as parallel port devices go, I have a thin client set up with DOS/Win98SE networked in. Cheap and simple--a case of throwing hardware at a software issue.
    When the Baby Replica was built, in 1998, there were no such things as MCUs. The museum still use a 486 PC running Windows/95 to load programs into the baby via its printer port.
    They actually have two and swap them from time to time. When I built my FPGA baby I included emulation of the store interface and tested it with my old Digital VP575 laptop.
    I keep meaning to port it to an MCU but other things get in the way. I think it would be good to change to an MCU so I could load other programs without popping round the back..
    Dave
    G4UGM