Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Vista sp2 not bad vs Windows 7?

Default Was Vista sp2 not bad vs Windows 7?

How much better was Vista with sp2? Was it finally a decent, reliable, and compatible OS like Windows 7?

I never ran it very long, but did run the server equivalent of it (2008, non-R2). I understood that the kernel pretty much WAS the same as Windows 7, so it was stable. We had trouble with it on servers where certain tasks could not be killed without a reboot, which caused issues for us. It was not widely used.

Vista was never that bad. It's just that the hardware back then wasn't powerful enough to run it. The difference between Windows 7 and Vista is very small. Vista generally asks for confirmation way more often and takes longer to boot, because it waits before everything is ready before showing the desktop (W7 shows the desktop as soon as possible, even if it isn't done starting all services).

Vista was garbage. It was a resource hog and it wasn't stable. The biggest problem being its resource management.
    With that said probably a better choice over windows 10

Vista was only unstable in the beginning due to poor drivers. And as for being a resource hog, that's not relevant unless you want to use it on pre-2008 hardware.

Vista was garbage. Vista SP2 was just differently-flavored garbage, that's all.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Is Windows Vista really that bad? I tried to answer that question back in 2014 with this video:

Blog Entries

This is the curse of the too-early release. A few things overlooked or allowed to pass into release poisons the public perception. At its most fundamental core, Vista was probably no worse or better than Win7.

I found vista sp2 to be mostly indistinguishable from 7 in performance and stability

Blog Entries

I found Vista to be tolerable, but jumped to W7 as soon as it came out. Vista had several little 'gotchas' like when you attempted to in install a game in the 'game folder'. I set up a family PC for a friend about 10-12 years ago or so, and they're still using it.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting