Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was Vista sp2 not bad vs Windows 7?

I think Firefox dropped support for XP and Vista at the same time; quite probably Chrome did both at one time too. Adobe Reader XI is the last for Vista, but the DC version is still ok for Win7.

But on the other hand, the soon-to-die Adobe Flash even now works on XP. When I say die, apparently it will uninstall itself on Jan 1, like it or not. No consideration at all for those thousands of old sites that still have Flash videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    But on the other hand, the soon-to-die Adobe Flash even now works on XP. When I say die, apparently it will uninstall itself on Jan 1, like it or not. No consideration at all for those thousands of old sites that still have Flash videos.
    Only if you allow Microsoft to install this "update" on your computer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-flash-player

It's pretty sad that one of Microsoft's recommended methods to continue to use Flash Player is to reinstall Windows!

Everything worthwhile in Flash format should work with an older version of the player that doesn't do that, I s'pect.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

WishbookWeb, the site that lets you look through old Sears and J.C. Penney catalogs, still requires Flash to make full use of the interface. If you don't have it, you get a "stripped-down" version of the site which lacks a text search function.

Blog Entries

No consideration at all for those thousands of old sites that still have Flash videos.
    I have to disagree with this statement. Adobe announced 2 years ago that this was happening, and most of the browsers announced this before that, and started phasing flash out more than a year ago. This is astonishingly reasonable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Everything worthwhile in Flash format should work with an older version of the player that doesn't do that, I s'pect.
    If it is web based, you'd need an older version of the browser too. Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari will outright block flash and flash content come Jan 1 and you will not be able to get it to run anymore (right now you can still tweak things to run flash content).

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Ah, true that. I just can't think of anything compelling that isn't a single SWF you could easily play standalone, but it looks like at least one person here can.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Only if you allow Microsoft to install this "update" on your computer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-flash-player

It's pretty sad that one of Microsoft's recommended methods to continue to use Flash Player is to reinstall Windows!
    That update is only for Win 8.1 and 10 (and server variants).

Quote from https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html
    Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date.
    How will that be accomplished? Will an earlier version get around it?

Blog Entries

How will that be accomplished? Will an earlier version get around it?
    Not sure about stand alone, non-web applications, but for web based ones, it's simply that the browser will no longer allow Flash Player to run at all.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10