Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wireless Router?

Default New Wireless Router?

Still using an old Linksys wrt54 (I believe that's the model number) circa early 2000's.

I think it's the bottleneck of my wifi network.

I don't do much streaming, or any high bandwidth games.

What do you guys recommend for a replacement. Even a few years old if its more cost effective.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Ultimately I found that wireless tech kept changing too fast on me (my last upgrade was in the middle of the Draft-N spec change) so I ended up getting a little Cisco gigabit router and hanging a Trendnet TEW-653AP PoE Wireless access point off that.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Ultimately I found that wireless tech kept changing too fast on me …...
    Me too, which is why my current router is so old. Ugh. LOL!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Still using an old Linksys wrt54 (I believe that's the model number) circa early 2000's.

I think it's the bottleneck of my wifi network.

I don't do much streaming, or any high bandwidth games.

What do you guys recommend for a replacement. Even a few years old if its more cost effective.

Thanks!
    Since I "cut the cable" about a year and a half ago I've been using a Motorola cable modem with wifi. Besure and check with your vendor to see if they allow 3rd party equipment.

I've been using this one but it came from BestBuy:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0E6-001H-00...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW, I do about 200 down and I cover 4 levels using 2 cheap wifi extenders via wall sockets.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Thanks guys!

When buying, what should I consider for somewhat future proof? (sorry I am so nave to this stuff [however if it was a 486 pc I'd be all over it])

Main factor I need is distance for WIFI.

Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Did you look at #4 above?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I have a motorola surfboard cable modem which connects to my linksys. So all I would need is a router without built in wifi.

Oh good, it's snowing again in central MN. (20 degrees below average. Can't even call it global warming anymore, now its climate change).

Blog Entries

I'm using a netgear nighthawk which looks flashy and has good speed with beam forming but it still can't get to the third floor of the house. As I have cat6 up there too, I also have a microtik hap ac2 which is a router in its own right and is far too featured to be used as a simple AP

but I now wish I had gone for a mesh as I move from room to room more than I thought I would and my laptop is determined to hang on to a signal until the bitter end no matter what roaming strategy I choose.

So I am thinking of an Orbi or similar system, just the price seems excessive.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Blog Entries

I have a Draytek Vigor 2862 and a 2820. I like the 2862 for its LAN/VLAN/VPN capabilities. You can also upgrade to a Wireless Mesh by adding other APs. It wasn't cheap though.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

A lot of the new wifi routers are dual band and if you have B or G only devices you may want to create two SSID's once you get your new router going, one for the B/G devices and one for the newer 5GHz band so the B/G don't fail to connect to the 5GHz signal. I was trying to program a new wifi thermostat and couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect to it with my phone. The phone was on the 5GHz connection and the thermostat was using the G signal and the two could not talk. Both bands shared the same SSID until I changed them. Don't ask me why that was a problem, it was. So I now have different SSID's so I know which one signal each device is using. The Honeywell software might have been bypassing the router in some way and the phone wasn't receiving the data sent out on the G side only. Had to reconnect the phone to the G signal to solve the problem.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts