Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which machines did not have LOWER CASE?

Blog Entries

cf. Algol-60. It's noteworthy, that in the report, "Boolean", but "integer" and "real". Ostensibly because back then, the fact that "Boolean" was formed from George Boole's surname.

Almost all vendors at the time used UC exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    The Apple II and II+ lacked support for lowercase letters. It wasn't until the Apple IIe that support for typing and displaying mixed case became available.
    But it was a popular modification to wire up the shift key to one of the paddle triggers. That, together with an aftermarket 80-column card, gave it lowercase support, but in 80-column mode only. And many games displayed their own custom lower-case characters in hi-res graphics mode, even if you couldn't type lowercase from the keyboard.

The TRS-80 Model I also had a lowercase modification available: http://www.trs-80.org/radio-shack-lower-case-kit/

Blog Entries

One big push for the development of lower case was trying to get computers into publishing. A newspaper contract could mean thousands of terminals in a single order. Similarly, APL with its need for a larger set of glyphs and Kanji with its need for high resolution displays pushed developments that led to upgrades for many computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    The TRS-80 Color Computer line lacked hardware lower case until the Color Computer 3 came out in 1986. It was possible to "use" lowercase, sort of, because it could map lowercase letters to reverse video versions of the upper case letters, and you could also use the graphics mode to draw them, but, yeah, no glyphs in character mode for them.

(This was because Tandy cheaped out and used the limited character generator built into the 6847 display generator instead of adding an external character ROM. Hacks to do that were available. Likewise, as mentioned re: the Apple II, lowercase kits were fairly common for it as well.)
    When the CoCo 2 was rebadged from TRS-80 to Tandy in 1985, they replaced the 6847 with the 6847T1 chip, which did have the ability to display true lowercase characters, although software rarely took advantage of it.

I think it was of minimal consequence anyway, because even if it had lowercase, its 32-column text display still wasn't going to bear any resemblance to how your documents would actually come out when printed on an 80-column printer. Same thing with how the TI-99/4A displayed small caps on the screen instead of lowercase.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Along with all of this I had a friction feed 'Gorilla Banana' printer (box still exists) that printed caps only.
    According to the 1985 DAK catalog, it did print lowercase, just without proper descenders:

I forgot that the II+ didn't ship with lower case. It was dead simple to drop in a different ROM so one could display lower case. I have a couple of II+ motherboards like that with lower case ROMs.

Also didn't think about the keyboard, since I only have a II+ clone keyboard. The Apple II+ keyboard does have shift keys, but apparently by default they only do anything on the !@$(#*$ symbol keys! No lower case from the keyboard decoder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    According to the 1985 DAK catalog, it did print lowercase, just without proper descenders:

Could very well have had lower case. That was my 1st printer around 1985 and I got it for about $99. I don't remember whether or not I got it from DAK, but I was a big customer for stereo stuff and tapes back then. The Banana didn't workout very well, so I bought the DMP-130 which I still have and it works not only with the 1000SX but with any PC as it also has the modified printer cable that ran about $40. Where did you find that DAK ad? Very enjoyable.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    When the CoCo 2 was rebadged from TRS-80 to Tandy in 1985, they replaced the 6847 with the 6847T1 chip, which did have the ability to display true lowercase characters, although software rarely took advantage of it.
    Yeah, I vaguely recalled after posting that the last batch of CoCo2's had that upgraded 6847, but I decided that didn't really count since I don't think Radio Shack ever told anyone about the change, it's just something some people at Rainbow Magazine or whatnot noticed and figured out it was possible to enable with the right POKE.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Few IBM mainframes prior to the 1965 IBM System/360 had lowercase in its character set. That includes the decimal machines (1620, 7070, 1401, etc.). The 1130 and the 7030 "Stretch" did have the LC option.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Where did you find that DAK ad? Very enjoyable.
    It's in the September 1985 issue of Stereo Review magazine, pages 80 and 81 of the PDF:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...ew-1985-09.pdf

And don't miss the ad for the rare SVI-328 computer on 88-89, and the Olivetti "spark-jet" printer on 112-113.