Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: WiFi Bridges for vintage systems

  1. #1

    Default WiFi Bridges for vintage systems

    Quick questions to those who use a WiFi bridge (such as a TP-LINK WR700N) to convert a wired connection to a wireless one: Are you using or do you need to use TWO IP addresses for the setup?

    I currently have my Toshiba T3200SX WiFi enabled with a TP-LINK WR700N. Looking through my device lists I have an IP assigned to the TP-LINK and a separate IP assigned to the NIC inside the laptop. Everything works with this setup but I want to make sure this is correct. Can I save an IP address and have the TP-LINK have the same IP as the one set on the NIC in the laptop?

    TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SW Quadrant of Michigan
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Quick questions to those who use a WiFi bridge (such as a TP-LINK WR700N) to convert a wired connection to a wireless one: Are you using or do you need to use TWO IP addresses for the setup?

    I currently have my Toshiba T3200SX WiFi enabled with a TP-LINK WR700N. Looking through my device lists I have an IP assigned to the TP-LINK and a separate IP assigned to the NIC inside the laptop. Everything works with this setup but I want to make sure this is correct. Can I save an IP address and have the TP-LINK have the same IP as the one set on the NIC in the laptop?

    TIA!
    That's how my TP-Link device shows up on my network. Giving them the same IP? I don't think that will work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    35,356
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I'm cheap; I use a couple of TP-LINK TL-WA855RE range extenders. I find it's simplest to just use static IP on my systems.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralel View Post
    That's how my TP-Link device shows up on my network. Giving them the same IP? I don't think that will work.
    Thanks for the info.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm cheap; I use a couple of TP-LINK TL-WA855RE range extenders. I find it's simplest to just use static IP on my systems.
    Chuck,

    I am using Static IPs (sort of). The NIC in the laptop is static (for when I do a direct wire connection) and the TP-LINK has a reserved DHCP IP. I don't see a way to set it to have a static IP in the settings when you try to use it as a WiFi bridge.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    35,356
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I don't use DHCP, so my configuration file just calls out the static IP, netmask, gateway and nameserver. So long as they're within the range of my router's assignable addresses, it doesn't make any difference. Works for DOS (mTCP), Windows and Linux. I just configure the TP Link as a normal extender, but plug my NIC cable into the RJ45 receptacle. Works just fine.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I don't use DHCP, so my configuration file just calls out the static IP, netmask, gateway and nameserver. So long as they're within the range of my router's assignable addresses, it doesn't make any difference. Works for DOS (mTCP), Windows and Linux. I just configure the TP Link as a normal extender, but plug my NIC cable into the RJ45 receptacle. Works just fine.
    Chuck,

    Are we talking apples and oranges here? How are you using a range extender to give WiFi capability to say a 3COM 3C503b?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    35,356
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    1. Power on the range extender.
    2. Use a separate computer to configure it.
    3. Connect the target computer to the RE using a short ethernet cable.
    4. Configure the target to use static IP within the WIFI assignment range of your router.
    5. Reboot.

    I can furnish configuration information you'd like. The TP-LINK RE has two operating modes--as an extender or as an AP. I recall that I'm using the extender mode. I don't know if this would work with other models; I've got a Linksys RE that I haven't tried this with yet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    2,529
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Quick questions to those who use a WiFi bridge (such as a TP-LINK WR700N) to convert a wired connection to a wireless one: Are you using or do you need to use TWO IP addresses for the setup?

    I currently have my Toshiba T3200SX WiFi enabled with a TP-LINK WR700N. Looking through my device lists I have an IP assigned to the TP-LINK and a separate IP assigned to the NIC inside the laptop. Everything works with this setup but I want to make sure this is correct. Can I save an IP address and have the TP-LINK have the same IP as the one set on the NIC in the laptop?

    TIA!
    The TP-LINK needs a an IP address so you can configure it. The NIC needs an IP address so it can receive packets. You could put a hub/switch between the TP-LINK and use it to connect multiple devices to the WiFi. In fact although the TP-LINK has an IP address its not needed to get data to the attached devices. The Network is flat. If you do a TRACERT you won't see the IP address of the TP Link. The AP has to bridge ARP packets. If you look at the ARP tables on the PC you will see entries for the devices on both sides of the bridge.
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    1. Power on the range extender.
    2. Use a separate computer to configure it.
    3. Connect the target computer to the RE using a short ethernet cable.
    4. Configure the target to use static IP within the WIFI assignment range of your router.
    5. Reboot.

    I can furnish configuration information you'd like. The TP-LINK RE has two operating modes--as an extender or as an AP. I recall that I'm using the extender mode. I don't know if this would work with other models; I've got a Linksys RE that I haven't tried this with yet.
    O.k. That is basically the same procedure for the WR700N. After setup and connection when I look at my router's "devices connected" screen I see an IP for the TP-LINK (assigned by DHCP) and the static IP for the NIC on the target computer. I am guessing you have the same going on, on your end.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •