Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demo Songs on IBM XT? Anyone remember or have this?

Default Demo Songs on IBM XT? Anyone remember or have this?

On my old hand-me-down IBM XT, I had some classic programs like Beast, Spacewar, ST: The Kobayashi Alternative... which I've identified and found. But I've been trying to find this music demo program which played through the PC speaker, and can't place it. To start, here's one I HAVE found - music.bas, shown here on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_bqgTDtV8s&

This has some songs I definitely remember... however, I really believe there was another one which had a lot more songs than this (I feel like 20 at the minimum, maybe 30 or 40) and that it was in 80-column mode, not the 40 column mode that one is in. I also feel like it maybe wasn't in BASIC, but was an .exe or .com file.

I wish I could remember specific songs this other one had. I feel like it had some classical tunes though.

Someone on another site was also asking for what might be the same thing, here's their recollection:

"A menu (all monochrome text as I recall) and you could select one of many songs, which would be played through the PC speaker (monophonic rather than polyphonic).

I remember a lot of TV and Movie Themes, as well as classical and popular tunes. I spent some time trying to track it down and turned up a few similar items, but not that exact one. This would have been the mid-80s, in the SF Bay Area. For sure it contained the "William Tell Overture"...
    Anyone remember this? Or is there an archive of early to mid 80s IBM / PC software where I could maybe find it? Thanks.

Maybe you're thinking of Pianoman by Neil J. Rubenking?

Pianoman was my guess. It has an easily identified aural fingerprint, as it isn't actual polyphonic playback, but simulated polyphony via rapidly playing single tones in sequence. So it sounds noticeably warbly.

Blog Entries

There was also Music Creation Set, PC Musician, and a book Music and Speech Programs for the IBM PC. Some BBSes had collections of BASIC programs that included music designed for the BASIC play command. Spelunking through the huge number of shareware CDs that got archived should result in finding more tinny PC speaker music than anyone could deal with.

As an example, https://ia803201.us.archive.org/view...004-1_1990.iso shows MUSIC2.ZIP which plays MUS files and MUSIK.ZIP which includes a number of additional MUS files.
    Last edited by krebizfan; October 27th, 2020 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries

The OP's recollection of The William Tell Overture is a dead giveaway for Pianoman. https://archive.org/details/pianoman_playrpno is a bit of a hacked-up archive of it, but should suffice.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

When evaluating emulators, running the old Pianoman scores gives a good aural idea of the accuracy of the emulation.

Thanks for the responses. I have zero memory of there existing any user-playable piano portion of it - I recall simply a music demo with maybe 20-40 selectable songs, in 80-column mode. But for the pianoman you linked, how would I get to such a song-demo screen if it exists? All I see is the player.

Press F1, the press alt-R to load a file. Then press alt-P to play the file.

Thanks. Interesting program, but this wasn't it at all. The one I am looking for just had a bunch of selectable demo songs all on one screen, that you could tell it to play. I feel like the background may have been one of the deeper blue hues, with white 80 column text. One song may have been "Mozart Piano Sonata No. 11 Turkish March." It's been so long I'm blanking on the others. But I do think it also had Sakura, like the basic one I linked.

Blog Entries

There were tens, if not a hundred, such "menu with songs you can play" programs. The exact menu-driven program and selection you used to originally play these songs might be completely lost to time. What we've provided are the actual songs and the program used to create them, which hopefully suffice.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)