Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demo Songs on IBM XT? Anyone remember or have this?

Blog Entries

SIMTEL20 is a great source for this kind of vintage stuff.

I ran across my disk for EA's "Music Construction Set" for the PC, PC XT and PC JR. Copy-protected, of course.

Thanks Chuck. I looked through that page... a couple may possibly be it (I doubt it), I'll have to check later. Does seem like a thin list, though.

Has the amount of preservation of early 80's PC software been poor? I mean, my Atari 8-bit floppy disks still work. A lot of the 5 1/4" PC floppies should still work. Most of these files have to be out there. Other stuff on that PC like Beast and Spacewar are well known. I don't think it's likely that I had some virtually unknown music file. Its selection screen looked pretty "legit."

Many people actively archive old software, but some things may be lost to time already. I have more hard drive space than I can imagine using right now, but in the 90s that wasn’t the case. And I wouldn’t have been likely to waste it on floppy images. I can also remember taking nearly every floppy I had, including shareware disks that I didn’t think I’d ever want again, and using that to backup everything so that I could switch operating systems. Also even for commercial floppies, not everyone stored them in the best of conditions. I’ve found some very old floppies that could be read just fine and I’ve also found piles of them that must have been stored in a barn and have stuff growing on them. Those are more problematic.

We are very fortunate that storage is so cheap these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLoco97 View Post
    Has the amount of preservation of early 80's PC software been poor?
    There are groups dedicated to preserving DOS software, with most doing an excellent job at great expense. But for many years, only the popular stuff got archived. You were more likely to hold onto an original game disk than a disk full of stuff you grabbed from a BBS, used once, then erased when you needed a disk for something else. You yourself have proven this: You don't have what you're looking for any more.

I don't think it's likely that I had some virtually unknown music file. Its selection screen looked pretty "legit."
    I've seen at least 20 of these "pick a song from a menu" programs in my time with the IBM PC. They were everywhere -- and there was nothing terribly special about them, so most people didn't retain them. Yours might be floating around out there, but unless it had a name, good luck finding it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I'd be surprised if this isn't somewhere in one of the big shareware collections like PC-SIG's, PC-Blue(/Green/Red), RBBS-in-a-Box etc.

Those are huge piles of disks to wade through, but they're usually indexed or organized by categories, so you'll be able to narrow it down to the music-related ones.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog