Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220v to 110v converters

Quote Originally Posted by Paralel View Post
    I would strongly advise against anything cheap. I spent time in Europe with a bunch of other Americans and I can say that I personally witnessed at least 1/2 dozen of those cheap little converters produce magic smoke in just a few months time, and they all took the varied devices attached to them to the electronics afterlife with them.
    They likely went up in smoke because of abuse and misuse. Most of those cheap voltage converters are triac dimmer circuits with a fixed voltage setting. They're designed for purely inductive loads like hair dryers, irons and older electric razors, not laptops, TVs or game consoles.

Triac based power converters produce a lot of heat and often don't have adequate cooling, making them only good for cyclic use. Keeping high loads on them for extended periods of time will eventually cause them to fail.

Personally I use a big black transformer box with a built in fuse. Not a fan of solid state or something that would fail to short as triacs can.
    As mentioned don't cheap out its really not worth you having to do a full rework of a PSU for 20$ less.
    if anyone is interested I use an ST-1000VA and it has suited all of my needs at high and low currents. There are other options but this one works very well and at a low price for what it is. As long as you don't mind the quiet hum it works very well.
    (naturally it doesn't convert frequencies)

Blog Entries

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293272782936

The Microbee uses an external brick supply, so I suppose that's easy to remedy. The monitor is curious.. in a picture of the back, it appears to have a marked 12v barrel plug hole.. seems like a teeny connector for something that requires that much power..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I was looking at something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293272782936

The Microbee uses an external brick supply, so I suppose that's easy to remedy. The monitor is curious.. in a picture of the back, it appears to have a marked 12v barrel plug hole.. seems like a teeny connector for something that requires that much power..
    I would say that e-bay item is overkill. You could run a kettle from that or hairdryer from that!. Are you sure the barrel connector is not an output? They are usually only rated 1 amp. Is there a power plate on the monitor with wattage?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Yes, but $73 with free shipping is a heckuva deal for a real hunk of iron (assuming that it is as advertised) I'd go for it if I were serious--8 Kg seems to be a little on the light side, however. I'd ask for a datasheet--I suspect that "transformer" is a mis-characterization and that there's a bunch of active devices under the hood.

This looks to be a bit more honest
    Last edited by Chuck(G); October 30th, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

chuck,

I bought a similar device from the same company and there are zero active devices. It really is a transformer in a box. Also a really good deal.