Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoTek 1.44 Giving error 40 floppy not found

1. Default GoTek 1.44 Giving error 40 floppy not found

After the Teac FD505 debacle, I decided to use a GoTek 144 Emulator with a Pentium II machine that I am standing up. The GoTek is configured with jumpers for the JA and S0 being jumped. However, when I connect it to the twisted end of the 34-pin ribbon cable I receive an error 40 floppy not found after POST. Most of the directions show the twisted end of the ribbon as the end to use for the GoTek. So, I am confused as to why the error is coming up? I would like some suggestions.

If your GOTEK is located AFTER the Conductors 10thru16 Twist, you need the Drive strapped for DS1. (Same as you would for
    a Floppy B: being on the End of the Twisted Cable).

If the GOTEK is located BEFORE the Twisted conductors it should be Strapped for DS1.

Larry

3. Default

Larry:

Are you saying that both connector positions twisted and non-twisted are connected to DS1?

Blog Entries

Yes, he is.

The twist rotates the drive select line. The drive connected before the twist is selected when the standard DS1 select line is high, but after the twist, the cables DS0 line is actually connected to the twisted connections DS1 input. So two drives configured as DS1 are selected independently.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

5. Default

You both were right about the use of the DS1 as the identifier for the system that a 1.44 floppy is there. The Floppy emulator is connected to the end of the twisted cable. The new problem has emerged, seems like first the LED on the 128 MB thumb drive is flickering on-off at a rapid pace and when I direct windows to open the floppy the response is that I must insert the floppy in the drive. Now, the first 11 positions in the USB drive have files there that were invoked by the GoTek software. Each segment was formatted with DOS 6.22 at 1.38 MB each. Then using the software files were uploaded to each 1.38 floppy segment and saved. If I place the thumb drive on a standard window 10 machine, I can see the files are there. So, two new problems exist first with the rapid flashing of the thumb drive LED and second the machine's in ability to read the first 00 segment of the thumb drive.

What Firmware are you using for the GOTEK. I think if you check out Flashfloppy you will find
    that it's better suited for what you want to do.

I'm not sure what the Original GOTEK firmware does, but it seems like to creates 0 thru 999
    Files on the USB Flash drive.

Larry

Blog Entries

I would agree with using flashfloppy in the Gotek. Bit of a fiddle to get it in, but once there its better.

The rapid flashing I get too with some files. On an Amstrad I have .IMG files and .DSK files and when one is selected (cant remember which), the software continually accesses it. doesn't cause a problem so wouldn't worry.

Get flashfloppy, then we can help as I have no experience of the default software which is designed really for installing in music keyboards.

I think the jumpers should be DS1 and JC so that the disk change is sent
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Gary,
    I'm curious as to the Jumper(s) JA, JB and JC (and your selection of JC), because JC just jumps Pin 4 of
    the 34 Pin connector (at Floppy Drive or GOTEK) to the CPU. As I see it Pin 4 is not used on the Floppy's
    34 Pin connector.

Maybe I'm missing, or overlooking something on the GOTEK Schematic.

Larry

9. Default

The GoTek software I am using is version 1.40i from ipcas.com. I know there is an earlier version of the software, version 1.31T, however, I found it buggy. As for the PROM inside of the GoTek, I donít know. I have included with this email a picture of the interior of the drive. The major chip reads as follows:
    ARMz
    STM32F 105
    RBT6
    GQ26A 93
    CHN GR 003
    ST (Chinese copy right symbol) 14

Smaller chip is 74HCD4D

PROM must be programmed into the larger chip.

The second picture I included shows some points that I didnít catch when I bought the drive; it uses conventional USB flash drive and something about that it doesnít use jumpers.
    IMG_3263a.jpgGoTek Drive.jpg

Blog Entries

FlashFloppy (firmware 2.14 - stable) is what I've used successfully with Gotek drives and IBM PS/2s with adapter cables for their 40-pin and 34-pin interfaces without separate 4-pin power inputs.

JC is used to select the host interface if using the FF.CFG configuration:
    https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...iguration-File