Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Packard Bell Legend 2276 486 Tower - repair, restoration, and upgrades:

Quote Originally Posted by Simplethings View Post
    also I CAN PHYISICALLY SEE THE VACANT ROW ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY PROCESSOR. You are making be prove something I NEVER ASKED YOU. YOU KEEP TAKING MY THREAD OFF TOPIC.
    Good, so it is determined you have a Socket 3 and can potentially use a POD. The screenshots you have posted and the information on the page you previously listed made it look like only specific motherboard revisions had the correct socket, and there was no information I could find online about it otherwise.

The whole purpose of me asking these questions is to keep you from wasting money on a POD that may not even fit in your board, there's no reason to get bent out of shape. If you don't want to discuss aspects of your computer, why did you even bother posting this thread?

I had posted this thread to talk about my build and maybe to learn about aspects of my Packard Bell I was unfamiliar with. I didn’t post this thread to discuss why my socket 3 is actually a socket 1 after never asking the question because it never was a question. I knew what socket this computer had before I even purchased it as I had the exact same model in 1993. Your repeated “verysmart” posts about why I can’t run an overdrive processor in my computer because you assume it has a socket it does not have basically ruined my thread.

If you re-read your first post, you yourself questioned whether or not a POD would work. I wouldn't have bothered to investigate otherwise. My first post was quoting something you wrote on the matter.

I'm not psychic, I can't know information you know. I certainly can't deduce what you have when given confusing information and hostility.

If you think your thread is being ruined, it's because of your hostile standoffish attitude. We're here to help, but you apparently don't want any.

Here is a link to the detailed repair of the acid damage my friend did on my PB410 board: https://youtu.be/fnxlv9Snqe0

pb410POP.jpg

Fully populated with 512kb cache and now a 486 overdrive processor. Even though I can't run a Pentium overdrive processor due to not having a later version of my BIOS (non-flashable), I don't plan on running one in this system anyway as I already have a lower end Pentium.

I did a bunch of benchmarks during the upgrade process. The jump between 0kb and 512kb cache on my original overdrive 66 processor was pretty impressive, and with the 100mhz overdrive installed I like the speed of the system.

I'm going to be burning a more current version of the BIOS someone has uploaded to the internet archive. Hopefully that will fix the Y2K bug. It's not so much of a big deal with DOS, but more of an annoyance with windows 95 for me (I plan on installing that later on)