Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice 5155

It's certainly different to my 5155, It'll be interesting to see more Pics of the inside and underneath.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I made an attempt to contact the seller in order to either clear up or add to the mystery.
    Received a reply this morning:

Thanks for your inquiry.. In response to your questions..

1. I have owned this for 20 years. I acquired it w the green screen. I have never had the case open. I can't imagine someone swapping out an amber for a green screen. Perhaps, but not on my watch. I do have digital copies of the tech reference manual and the operations manual for the unit. After looking at your email, I checked to see if any units were produced w a green screen display but it is not addressed but neither is the term 'amber' display in the IBM documentation.

2. Assuming it is original and yes, it is internal. I have attached a pic.

3. The power supply cord is stored in the cavity. I have attached a pic.

4. Referring to #1, I have never made any changes to the machine.

5. Yes, both floppies work.

The only damage to the unit is one of the 'feet' on the keyboard. I have attached pics.

You seemed to have researched this more than I. In looking online, differences between pictures / info seen on some sites are the green display and the storage cavity for the power cord on the unit I have. Perhaps a later production unit? At any rate, its what I have.

Thanks for looking!
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Received a reply this morning:

Thanks for your inquiry.. In response to your questions..

1. I have owned this for 20 years. I acquired it w the green screen. I have never had the case open. I can't imagine someone swapping out an amber for a green screen. Perhaps, but not on my watch. I do have digital copies of the tech reference manual and the operations manual for the unit. After looking at your email, I checked to see if any units were produced w a green screen display but it is not addressed but neither is the term 'amber' display in the IBM documentation.

2. Assuming it is original and yes, it is internal. I have attached a pic.

3. The power supply cord is stored in the cavity. I have attached a pic.

4. Referring to #1, I have never made any changes to the machine.

5. Yes, both floppies work.

The only damage to the unit is one of the 'feet' on the keyboard. I have attached pics.

You seemed to have researched this more than I. In looking online, differences between pictures / info seen on some sites are the green display and the storage cavity for the power cord on the unit I have. Perhaps a later production unit? At any rate, its what I have.

Thanks for looking!
    Hmm. Very interesting! Would love to see that pic!

Greg

I dont know, Why would they make a green screen variant. Seems a step back and thats not really IBM's MO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Hmm. Very interesting! Would love to see that pic!

Greg
    Can't upload because the snaps are too large for the forum's specs. Send me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Some people can't stare at amber for very long (raises hand). I like amber, but green is easier on my eyes.

I actually have a IINM 5155 replacement crt module. It's sort of a scratch and dent model, a company in California was selling them damn near 30 years ago, so I bought one. It's powered by 12vdc IINM. Mine is trying to burn a hole in the center of the screen, and has successfully burned away all the phosphor there. I would say about a mm in diameter.

Green sure looks funky on that! Someone likely replaced the module. He's only had it for 20 years.

Really? I always found it the other way around, after staring at a green screen for hours and looking away, and all white surfaces appear purple and pinkish. I never had that problem with Amber.

Personally if I had to choose between the two I’d lean slightly towards green for 60hz applications, and it’s not even close @50hz, because the green phosphor was usually longer persistence. I’m apparently unusually susceptible to flicker and MDA on anything but *slow* green (you know, so slow it leaves long trails behind moving objects) looks like a strobe light.

That said, the 5155 was NTSC frequency and only 9” (flicker is picked up by your peripheral vision so it gets worse as monitor size increases) so amber’s fine.

In any case, it’s not really the tube that’s interesting about this machine, it’s certainly possible it was replaced because the original was damaged or whatever, it’s the case and badge anomalies.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I prefer amber as well, but it's close. Green is not bad at all

Blog Entries

Here's a few more comments from the present owner:

"All I can remember is I picked it up as an 'oddity'. I remember at the time it caught my eye because my first computer was an XT, almost exactly the same, but the desktop. Not being a purist w vintage computers, I played with it for a while, then it sat on a shelf in my basement. I am now trying to get rid of 'stuff'.

I never questioned the authenticity. In looking at it now, there are no markings what so ever but the IBM logo on the keyboard.

I have attached the manuals I have. There were acquired sometime ago, but not with the purchase of the machine. They are typical IBM manuals. Overwritten and not much help."

Please use the Craig's List link and contact the owner personally if you have more questions.