Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking 8-bit etherent card that will work with AT&T 6300

1. Default Seeking 8-bit etherent card that will work with AT&T 6300

What brand\type of Ethernet card will work in AT&T 6300?

Blog Entries

When I still had a 6300, I used an Artisoft AE-3 card. Worked fine.

Blog Entries

Most should work fine, but I can verify the Intel Etherexpress 8/16 card does *not* work and never will. It has two modes of operation, port reads and memory window. It only supports memory window on 286+ systems, and the port reads are done via IN AX,DX, which is a word-sized read, and the hi/low bytes get swapped because of a flaw in the M24/6300 architecture. If you have the bus correction kit it will work, but if you don't, look elsewhere.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

4. Default

Chuck:

I looked up the Artisoft AE-3 and found only 16-bit. Did you recall if yours was a 16-bit card or 8-bit? Can a 16-bit card work in the 6300? If I did get this card, where would I find the driver's for it for DOS 6.22?

5. Default

Trixter:

Would a 3-comm 16-bit work with AT&T?

Blog Entries

Only the 3c509b variant, if memory serves. An older 8-bit 3com is a safer bet, although since almost none of them have RJ45 jacks, you'll need one with an AUI interface and an AUI transceiver.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    Chuck:

I looked up the Artisoft AE-3 and found only 16-bit. Did you recall if yours was a 16-bit card or 8-bit? Can a 16-bit card work in the 6300? If I did get this card, where would I find the driver's for it for DOS 6.22?
    Don't know where you're getting your data, but here's the official datasheet. Note jumpers W5C and w5D that determine 8- or 16-bits. I like this card a lot because there's no setup program--it's all done with jumpers. If you're using UTP for connections, the Artisoft AE2/T is very similar.

I use a standard Novel NE2000 driver for it, which is available from a variety of places.

8. Default

Sorry about the data mix up, I was looking at their picture of the Artisoft AE-3. I have reviewed the manual and 8-bit is supported through jumpers as was suggested. Thank you both for the information. While the Artisoft AE-3 or AE2/T cards are still out there. Their affordability comes into question. Also, the 3COMM 3c509b is affordable, however, the media converter for AUI and/or Thin or Thick net is not.

Blog Entries

AUI converters are around $15 on ebay, and if you set up a saved search you can find them for less from time to time. There are for sale/wanted areas on this forum. There are also vintage computer groups on facebook, email, and discord you could ask.
    Offering a bounty for:

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    the 3COMM 3c509b is affordable, however, the media converter for AUI and/or Thin or Thick net is not.
    This card comes in many flavors. There is a 3c509b-Combo card that comes with AUI, BNC, and TP. There is a 3c509b-TP card that comes with AUI and TP. There is a 3c509b-TPO that is TP only. 3c509b-coax is AUI and BNC