Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 16-bit ISA IDE interface.... In GALs?

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Also, I am not convinced that U2 is actually needed, if I am trying to save space. Surely any decent drive electronics will be buffering those signals anyway.
    I think the reason that's there is to ensure signal integrity of those signals across a cable. I don't bother buffering those on my homebrew cards, but the assumption with those has always been that the flash device is plugged straight in. Hanging a 16-20" antenna straight off the bus is maybe a different matter?
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I think it's gonna all fit. =:O

-- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, PS/2 Model 25-286 ISA expansion riser, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)

Do you have a plan for the overlapping ide and isa footprints, or is there actually room ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrip View Post
    Do you have a plan for the overlapping ide and isa footprints, or is there actually room ?
    I was going to just trim the pins on the IDE connector flush with the board where they overlap, but I ended up rearranging things to make it fit better anyway. Ended up putting the ICs between the ISA slots on the back, and freed up some space.

Still challenging to get all those traces to fit though!

Last edited by bladamson; November 22nd, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, PS/2 Model 25-286 ISA expansion riser, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)

Good plan (I was wondering if that was it) ... and even better fix.