Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Blog Entries

Default AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Anyone have the 5900X yet or know where it's presently in stock?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Wasn't able to get a 5900x/5950x, but I did get a 5600x (65W TDP) for my home theater / gaming PC. I use a 65W CPU there to keep things cooler, as it sites in an entertainment center.

This is the tracker I've been checking: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/amd/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    Wasn't able to get a 5900x/5950x, but I did get a 5600x (65W TDP) for my home theater / gaming PC. I use a 65W CPU there to keep things cooler, as it sites in an entertainment center.

This is the tracker I've been checking: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/amd/
    Thanks for that. I recently upgraded to a 3700X and if I can locate the 5900X I sell it. My local MicroCenter had 2 last week and they were gone in a flash. I'm on the waiting list with B&H Photo. According to some tech reports, the 5900X actually out performs the 5950X in gaming. What are you using for Video? Also, I'm streaming off of a 8TB HD through Shield & Plex and it works throughout the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Thanks for that. I recently upgraded to a 3700X and if I can locate the 5900X I sell it. My local MicroCenter had 2 last week and they were gone in a flash. I'm on the waiting list with B&H Photo. According to some tech reports, the 5900X actually out performs the 5950X in gaming. What are you using for Video? Also, I'm streaming off of a 8TB HD through Shield & Plex and it works throughout the house.
    I have an 11GB Zotac GTX 1080 ti in there for video (picked it up refurbished a year ago for $450). Just storing files on my Linux server via SMB share, nothing fancy for the video storage. I have built a new server using the X470D4U server motherboard and the 3700x... IPMI is very handy. 32 GB of ECC DRAM on the server, it'll replace the current Ryzen 2600 / x370 desktop Linux system. The new server has 4x 1TB Intel 660P NVME in RAID 5 for 2.9 TB of storage, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD in RAID 0 for the recent video files, and an 8 GB hard drive for storing older video / infrequently used files. Using 10 gigabit networking with a 12 port QNAP switch.

Blog Entries

I have an 11GB Zotac GTX 1080 ti in there for video (picked it up refurbished a year ago for $450). Just storing files on my Linux server via SMB share, nothing fancy for the video storage. I have built a new server using the X470D4U server motherboard and the 3700x... IPMI is very handy. 32 GB of ECC DRAM on the server, it'll replace the current Ryzen 2600 / x370 desktop Linux system. The new server has 4x 1TB Intel 660P NVME in RAID 5 for 2.9 TB of storage, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD in RAID 0 for the recent video files, and an 8 GB hard drive for storing older video / infrequently used files. Using 10 gigabit networking with a 12 port QNAP switch.
    That's a very nice setup. You got a good one with 1080 ti. This last summer I bought a RTX 2070 Super for my big gamer as I wanted to see what ray tracing was all about. With the 3700X and the 2070 I don't know what more I should expect from a gamer but there's always something on the horizon that you just gotta have.

Blog Entries

High End Systems

I was having a problem running 'USERBENCHMARKS'. It would appear to run but wouldn't return any valid results. Turns out there's an 'exe' called 'Nihimic Services', which evidently deals with high end audio. I don't know much about it but it turned out to be the culprit. You can check this link out and disable 'Nihimic' and things should go back to normal if you had or are experiencing a similar problem.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...ailed.3614146/

Blog Entries

HoJoPo

Just some miscellaneous ramblings about high end gamers. For the first time I spent several hours last night attempting to OC my RTX 2070. I was using the older version of 3DMark for the benchmark and MSI's Afterburner for the OC utility. I started out with a 3DMark score of 25097 and it steadley went downhill from there. After 2 more attempts, all according to documented procedures, I saw 25034 and then 24998. This was not anywhere near what I had expected and it gave be a start when I was unable to return to my original score with afterburner. So, what I did was to use the Asus's GPU Tweak II utility, which took a while running, but straightened thinks out and even gave a few more points at 25606. My conclusion is that there is very little room or benefit in overclocking the 2070. The 7 3700x is a different animal and oc's very well because it's made to. Mine runs at about 4.6GHz and the scores are very good. If and when I get my hands on that 5900X it's hard to imagine what gaming will be then.

Unigen 2 - 16452
    CineBench (multi core) - 11867
    CineBench (single core) - 1284

Have you attempted to OC your Video and CPU.

I did play with OC on the 3700x, and as a 65W 8 core CPU, it has some room to OC, easy to get it to the 3800x performance. The 1080ti and 2080ti I have are factory OC'd models, with cooling to match, and the 5% or so of extra speed isn't worth the reduction in stability or hardware life for me.

Blog Entries

The 1080ti and 2080ti I have are factory OC'd models, with cooling to match, and the 5% or so of extra speed isn't worth the reduction in stability or hardware life for me.
    I totally agree with that. I now believe that the high performance Nvidia cards should not be fooled with.

Current day graphic and processor have built in test circuits that constantly monitor the edge of failure. They constantly readjust to keep the part at close to maximum operation. Most all of the tuning stuff uses fixed values that don't track temperature. It is getting harder and harder for a fixed value to be as good as something that automatically tunes, continuously. I suspect in the future, tuning will require the ability to add or subtract a percentage, rather than setting constant values will be the only way to hit peak operating speeds.
    Self tuning chips are getting too close to the limit for one to find anything more.
    I'm curious about the Peltier coolers that Intel is trying out. In the past, they were so inefficient that they couldn't remove the added power to actually cool things like a processor running at 300 watts. Adding another 600 watts to remove 300 watts doesn't make much sense.
    Of course cases could be designed better to move heat away from the active circuits. Most current case end up recirculating more than 50% of the heat. One has to look at server designed cases for how to remove heat. Air goes in one side and then out the other. It is ducted all the way. There is little place for out going air to mix with incoming air. I think the future of OC is in air flow control.
    Dwight