Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macintosh Classic color board repair

Default Macintosh Classic color board repair

I had a working Classic Color not long ago. Recently I tried to turn it on, but I had nothing, not even a power light. I removed the board. Battery looks ok, but caps started leaking.
    I don't think that just changing caps would help in booting. Can you guys tell me who and where is able to repair such board?
    I really wish I can get it fix.

Blog Entries

Color classics are in the range of macs where the MINIMUM preventative maintenance is replacing all the surface mount lytics on the logic board. Second to that is pulling the back off and recapping the analog board as well.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Bad capacitors can definitely cause any Mac to not boot.

I can recap your logic board if you aren't able to. I recapped a Quadra 605 for another member here not too long ago.

First, did you use the keyboard to turn it on? Remember, the switch on the back does NOT turn the system on!

Second, if you did and not even got a power light, you may very well need to re-cap the analog board. The caps on the logic board can cause the Mac not to start, but the power light would not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    First, did you use the keyboard to turn it on? Remember, the switch on the back does NOT turn the system on!

Second, if you did and not even got a power light, you may very well need to re-cap the analog board. The caps on the logic board can cause the Mac not to start, but the power light would not be affected.
    I recapped my color classic (main board and analog board) a year ago. And I was racking my head about why it was showing no signs of life until I realized the keyboard power switch is needed to turn it on. Watching Adrian Blacks' episode a few days ago brought back those memories.

Gentlemen, good news. Like you stated, the keyboard needed to be plugged in. Now the condition of my Classic C is upgraded to working, but not booting OS. Probably the hdd got damaged somehow.
    I will work on that issue later (and probably will ask you for help), but now I need to change these caps asap. I will pm GiGaBiTe, and ask him for affordable recap service.

Damaged doubtful. Of all the classic MACS I own from that vintage MOST with original hard drives have dead drives. I did a purge earlier this year and went through a dozen to find 9 of them had failed to a point of being unusable. I dont know why, SCSI is a superior architecture; I am guessing the manufacturing was sub par. Its Apple, its typical. Easily remedied with a SCSI2SD

The hard drives were not made by Apple. They are from Quantum mostly just with Apple-branding in the firmware to lock out other drives.

In many cases it's just the head assembly being stuck after years of storage. The bumper it rests against can get sticky. With a gentle punch at the right spot, you can often get it free and working again.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Damaged doubtful. Of all the classic MACS I own from that vintage MOST with original hard drives have dead drives. I did a purge earlier this year and went through a dozen to find 9 of them had failed to a point of being unusable. I dont know why, SCSI is a superior architecture; I am guessing the manufacturing was sub par. Its Apple, its typical. Easily remedied with a SCSI2SD
    Usually the spindle motors get gummed up from the old lubricant rotting away. I've found running such drives upside down allows them to run again, for awhile at least.

I've experimented with drilling into the bearing shield and washing the old bearing grease out with alcohol and replacing it with new grease with mixed results. It's an incredibly finicky process, you have to drill just far enough to breach the bearing shield without actually going into it and damaging the bearing. It's a lot easier than disassembling the platter stack, both methods risk damaging the drive beyond use, but it's always worth a try to do the less invasive drilling first.

I'm sure a mill machine could do it a lot more precisely.

So is there a way to make regular SCSI hdd to be mac friendly? My board is at the service, but I will have to look around for replacement hdd.