Image Map Image Map

Thread: Best way to ship Mac Plus?

Default Best way to ship Mac Plus?

Face up, face down, or standing up normally?

My guess is that face down would minimize stress on the plastic mounting points for the crt.

Yes, face down.

Apple didn't ship them face down. You pulled them straight up out of the box ensconced in form fitting styrofoam.

Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    Apple didn't ship them face down. You pulled them straight up out of the box ensconced in form fitting styrofoam.
    Yeah but I expect the plastic screw mounts have gotten a little more fragile these days. Face-down seems like it'd be the least stressful on the mount points.

Unfortunately you can't count on any shipping company to keep the box upright, even with "this side up" stickers.

If you aren't comfortable rolling the package down your driveway like a bowling ball, then you don't even want to think about what is going to happen in a shipping depot.

Maybe take a trick from modern PC system builders -- they use expanding foam packs inside the computer to help support the graphics card.

Not to be a downer, but every 'classic' style Mac I've ever had shipped to me arrived with a broken / cracked case. The plastic gets fragile over time and few folks seem to understand proper packing.

So what do you suggest as proper packing to prevent that from happening? What "if only they did" stories do you have from the ones you received?

Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    So what do you suggest as proper packing to prevent that from happening? What "if only they did" stories do you have from the ones you received?
    Fair enough, but this is just conjecture since none have arrived here intact. In my opinion they need about 2x the cushioning thickness you might expect. I'd use a minimum of 4" of large-bubble wrap around both axes and put that in a thick-walled outer box.

I put alot of extra effort into shipping monitors. I ship MOST across the country and overseas. SHIP IT FACEDOWN! The weight of the tube on brittle plastic will tear the CRT Loose and destroy what you are sending. Don't listen to conjecture or guesses, take it from someone who ships CRT's out all the time... Face down ALWAYS! (it goes without saying some 2" thick Styrofoam under the monitor and face are necessary)

Someone commented about not counting on the shipping service to keep it orientated correctly. This is true.. I only ship with large or extra large boxes/... I do use large stickers on every side stating "THIS END UP" when the box is that large they keep the correct orientation.
    Last edited by VERAULT; November 19th, 2020 at 12:22 PM.