Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 Sony Trinitron Monitor repair

Default 1992 Sony Trinitron Monitor repair

So I have gotten around to fixing a 1992 Sony trinitron monitor. Its an Applecolor High-Resolution RGB monitor model M1297, I really needed to get this thing working as all my MAC monitors are below 640 X 480 resolution and finding a high res monitor locally has been impossible. I picked this up from a large haul in New Jersey and Although it had only a small crack to the plastic case on top I think it was dropped a few feet. Not enough to cause catastrophic damage of course.

The unit was DOA when I got it so I assumed PSU was faulty. Upon opening it up I found the weight of the flyback broke the PCB (more evidence it was dropped).Message_1605224103869_resized.jpg

I repaired the PCB and ran wires to repair all the broken traces. 20201113_113800_resized.jpg

After which point the monitor came back to life. But it seems the colors are not in sync (again, from the drop apparently)20201119_162454_resized.jpg20201119_162441_resized.jpg

I am not too great with tuning color tubes so How do I get the RCB to realign? From these photos you can see the RGB (actually it looks like CMY Cyan magenta and yellow)

This had been an interesting repair so hopefully I can get it all the way to fixed.20201119_162504_resized.jpg
    20201119_162512_resized.jpg

Blog Entries

Your convergence got a good whack. Given how it's uniform across the face of the tube and your adjustment rings are still set in gunk it's almost like the entire shadow mask has shifted.....
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

So is it shot, or can I use the rings to get it back?

It should be "get backable." But you're going to have to muck with the rings. There should be a whole section in the service manual that gives what order you have to do it in. (which is important)

I think generally, you start from ground zero and do a purity setup and then you do the convergence after that. Once you get it as good as the rings and other hardware tweaks will get you, you use convergence strips to tweak the corners. You can make them DIY.

It takes awhile to get the hang of and is somewhat different from set to set, and also it's dangerous as you're near the HV with your hands.

Its a Macintosh item so getting a service manual is pretty much impossible and not going to happen unfortunately. So is there rhyme or reason or do I just start spinning the rings till it all makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Its a Macintosh item so getting a service manual is pretty much impossible and not going to happen unfortunately. So is there rhyme or reason or do I just start spinning the rings till it all makes sense?

Sony setups are relatively similar between similar chassis. You can probably find the instructions in a different manual if you dig around for it. From the manuals I've seen, Sony will actually just reprint the same set of convergence instructions for multiple sets anyway. That's not to say that it's guaranteed, but I think it's likely you'll find one that's close enough. Look around for any sony service manual for any monitor of the same time and description. Google "model number" and "service manual."
    There will be lots of free manual sites.

It's really too complicated to walk someone through (for me) and is best done with instructions. And yes, there's definitely a way to do it and a way to not do it.

Even if you can't find a similar chassis, just find any Sony computer monitor service manual and use it for a reference and a starting point. Worst comes to worse you can go from there and write down the effect that each ring has and map what you have to the instructions. You may find though that you have extra or missing rings; not all sets have all of them.

And of course be careful. You're already inside there, so I'm just assuming you know you could kill yourself if you touch the wrong thing. The high voltage is present on the wires attached to the yoke.

No stranger to high voltage here. Even use the rubber high voltage gloves when in tight areas,,, removes all tactile sense unfortunately.

Blog Entries

I'll look to see if I still have my CDP1302 service manual, if that's any help.

Thanks guys, Its about time I start delving into color CRT repair. So even if this is difficult its a good less to learn.