Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've never owned a DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Are most people even buying handheld cameras anymore since cell phone cameras are good enough for most people?
    Speaking for myself, my phone is a flip model with a grainy low-resolution piece of junk for a camera

But I'm not much of a photographer anyway, so my camera is just something I picked up on the cheap at a garage sale for Craigslist purposes.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I've long wondered why an array of sensors couldn't be used in a 4x5 format. Resolution would be pretty incredible. Perhaps there's no market demand. The Calumet used to be standard fare for photography students back in the day.

But that was when film wasn't cheap, nor quickly changed. So you spent your time composing your subject in anticipation of the moment that you'd push the shutter release.

Maybe still photography is doomed in the long run. Everything will be video in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Maybe still photography is doomed in the long run. Everything will be video in the future.
    I remember back in the late 80's when hand-held video cameras were the rage, people walked around taping everything whether it moved or not. I wonder if they ever pull those videos out. I still like my digital Minolta with all of its lenses, but I too am given to using my cell phone camera more and more. I just don't think people are buying the DSLR's anymore unless they have a professional need.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; November 21st, 2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Are most people even buying handheld cameras anymore since cell phone cameras are good enough for most people?
    Due to the tiny sensor and focal length in a cell phone camera, you can never get the same depth of field with those. "Most people" however won't care and don't even know what depth of field is all about. So yes, they are kind of good enough for most people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Speaking for myself, my phone is a flip model with a grainy low-resolution piece of junk for a camera

But I'm not much of a photographer anyway, so my camera is just something I picked up on the cheap at a garage sale for Craigslist purposes.
    The only handheld digital camera I ever purchased new is my Kodak Easyshare C340 which is like 5MP? That thing is very old.

Years ago when I figured I needed something better to take pics with if I ever wanted to ebay my spare computer bits I snagged a bunch of digital cameras on ebay for a few bucks each. The best of which is a Fujifilm JX520 that is 14MP and does HD video.

All my phone cameras were junk until I picked up my current phone which is a Samsung Galaxy A01. The camera has a 13MP and 2 MP rear camera and a 5MP front camera. I think it uses the 2MP for figuring out depth so takes decent close up pictures. Considering it is a sub $100 phone I figured the current high end models take much better pictures so unless you need a high zoom lens they should be good enough for 99% of people.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It's an interesting question.

Specifically, today, I question how many modern "still" photographs, especially in sports, are not cherry picked frames from short video segments.

I think the notable thing is that still photos can be had at much better resolution than video. But, maybe for short bursts, 1 or 2 dozen frames, it doesn't matter.

Even some modern cell phones will take several captures when you take a "single photo" and let you pick the best one, or the other times where they take several photos and transparently merge them together in post processing.

Burst shots are as old as photography itself. Back in early analog days, people added large battery packs and motors to their cameras to get that feature - only to be able to select from the best shot after developing the film.

Recording a video works different than doing a still, so while you can extract a single frame from a video, it won't ever be a substitute.

Blog Entries

I've never heard of a burst Daguerreotype. Did such things exist?

It once was all about the view-finder.
    When you use the view finder you hold the camera close to your face which makes it easier to steady and to visually verify that it is in fact steady. Holding it at a distance to look at a screen I would expect more issues with camera-shake. Perhaps not if your camera can use a much higher ISO speed without detrimental image noise, but that capability favors more expensive cameras with larger sensors.

My first DSLR did not have the option of a realtime display on the LCD instead of using the optical viewfinder. Now they all have that option but I still use the viewfinder 99% of the time anyway.
    I've long wondered why an array of sensors couldn't be used in a 4x5 format.
    The sensors are silicon dies so larger ones are more expensive. Hasselblad has a 'medium format' sensor and it costs 10K or something... An array of sensors has gaps in between which would have to be addressed somehow. If you use one lens to project an image across the entire surface then you lose part of the image in the gaps. Using an array of lenses corresponding to the sensors seems like it would be more in the realm of space telescopes than a handheld camera.
    In terms of the end result, I would say these are fundamentally different things. In terms of the process, yes you can record video continuously and then pick out a few 'photos' later, but not in every situation. What if you needed to use a flash? And 20-30MB raw files at a rate of 30fps or more requires quite a large storage medium.

Blog Entries

That's just a matter of time. I recall a time when only press and sports photographers used flash, having lugged one of those Graflex Stroboflash units around, myself . That was a huge advance over the conventional incandescent-lamp sized flashbulbs. As sensors improve and media storage improves, storage and flash will become less important, unless one is after a certain effect. An 8TB 3.5" hard disk was far outside even the most forward-looking imagination 30 years ago. I can recall reading articles that predicted that magnetic recording densities had reached their theoretical limit back then. A 1TB USB flash drive wasn't even on the futurists' spectrum.

Who knows? 30 years from now, maybe the thing will be point-and-shoot holograms.