Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new gpu or new power supply?

Both drives are Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 drives. 2 terabytes each.

The 560 worked fine with just one of the two drives installed. It didn't choke until the 2nd drive was plugged in.

dxdiag shows BIOS date 04/13/11 16:46:35 Ver 4.01 (Asus cm1730 motherboard)
    The Asus website shows the most recent BIOS for that motherboard to be v0801 03/29/2013. Seems it's time to update. Not sure if that's the problem, but can't hurt to update.

Blog Entries

Do you have any other video card you could drop in with those 2 HD's just to see what happens. Running out of ideas. Also, when you add that 2nd HD, are they both directly connected to the P/S? Is the Video card a 6/8 pin line direct from the P/S or is it an attachment from a 4 pin mylar dongle?
    Last edited by Agent Orange; November 23rd, 2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Do you have any other video card you could drop in with those 2 HD's just to see what happens. Running out of ideas. Also, when you add that 2nd HD, are they both directly connected to the P/S? Is the Video card a 6/8 pin line direct from the P/S or is it an attachment from a 4 pin mylar dongle?
    BTW, downloaded all the latest drivers from the Asus website. According to EZUpdate, I already have the latest BIOS. Ah, well.

No other cards to hand except a couple of AGP cards. Yes, both drives are connected directly to the power supply. The GeForce gtx560 ti takes two 6 pin power connectors. It was one of the reasons I picked this unit, as many only have one 6 pin connector for a GPU.

I'm trying to remember if the card has 1Gb of memory or 2Gb. Would that make much of a difference? If memory serves (excuse the pun) it's DDR5. Here's a photo:

EVGAgtx560ti.jpg

It's a two slot GPU.

eBay has quite a few ATI Radeon 2Gb HD 7450 cards on sale for $38-$40 when I search for 2Gb cards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    BTW, downloaded all the latest drivers from the Asus website. According to EZUpdate, I already have the latest BIOS. Ah, well.

No other cards to hand except a couple of AGP cards. Yes, both drives are connected directly to the power supply. The GeForce gtx560 ti takes two 6 pin power connectors. It was one of the reasons I picked this unit, as many only have one 6 pin connector for a GPU.

I'm trying to remember if the card has 1Gb of memory or 2Gb. Would that make much of a difference? If memory serves (excuse the pun) it's DDR5. Here's a photo:

EVGAgtx560ti.jpg

It's a two slot GPU.

eBay has quite a few ATI Radeon 2Gb HD 7450 cards on sale for $38-$40 when I search for 2Gb cards.
    Try moving the 7450 to the other PCIe slot. I have a 7970 that act the same way in a Gigabyte board.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I don't have a 7540; I was just remarking they seem to be quite common on eBay for just under $40. Not too bad for a 2Gb GPU. It would seem to be a low power consumption card as well.

...Still thinking about a new p/s first. Leaves me room for future CPU upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I don't have a 7540; I was just remarking they seem to be quite common on eBay for just under $40. Not too bad for a 2Gb GPU. It would seem to be a low power consumption card as well.

...Still thinking about a new p/s first. Leaves me room for future CPU upgrade.
    The HD 7450 is a massive downgrade from a GTX 560 Ti.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...50/2180vsm8053

I'd recommend RMAing the power supply first.

The power supply is a couple years old. I doubt I could RMA it now.

It sounds like a comparable GPU would cost me $60+, so I need to decide if I should buy that, or get a newer power supply; obviously not the $55 special on sale.

Yeah, don't go by the amount of memory. One card with 2GB could easily be 10x faster than another one. Some vendors seem to specialize in squeezing revenue from stocks of old, slow GPUs by coupling them with lots of cheap, slow RAM (and a flashy box)

I tried to find out which AMD GPUs support 4K video but according to wiki it looks like only the recent, high-end models do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

my recommended searches to score a decent nVidia card in the $40-or-less range would be:
    GTX 650
    GTX 660
    GTX 750
    GTX 950
    GeForce 640 GDDR5
    GeForce 740 GDDR5
    GeForce 730 GDDR5

When you say it won't boot, do you mean to the desktop or not even allow you to get into the setup screen? If the later, have you tried a boot into safe mode? See if there's a driver issue by trying to go into safe mode.

Lastly, are all of the drives and the video card on one rail of a dual rail power supply or spread over two rails. Are both 6 pin connectors on the same rail? This is assuming that the supply you have has twin power rails. For example 550 watts, but the +12 output is split at say 10 amps and 10 amps on two rails vs. one rail of 15 - 20 amps. Total watts can be total BS on some power supplies and unless you look at what power is delivered to each output from your supply. You could be overloading a single output. In which case you need to move some devices to a second rail.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDon View Post
    When you say it won't boot, do you mean to the desktop or not even allow you to get into the setup screen? If the later, have you tried a boot into safe mode? See if there's a driver issue by trying to go into safe mode.

Lastly, are all of the drives and the video card on one rail of a dual rail power supply or spread over two rails. Are both 6 pin connectors on the same rail? This is assuming that the supply you have has twin power rails. For example 550 watts, but the +12 output is split at say 10 amps and 10 amps on two rails vs. one rail of 15 - 20 amps. Total watts can be total BS on some power supplies and unless you look at what power is delivered to each output from your supply. You could be overloading a single output. In which case you need to move some devices to a second rail.
    I can't even get to CMOS then. Haven't had the time to try swapping out drives & the 560 yet.

Single rail 12v. It would seem the dual rail systems could only provide 20 amps on one rail. As I mentioned earlier, the spec calls for 30 amps. If I understand you correctly, you suggest I could with a dual rail system run one plug on one rail, and connect the second to the other.