Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new gpu or new power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by bakemono View Post
    Yeah, don't go by the amount of memory. One card with 2GB could easily be 10x faster than another one. Some vendors seem to specialize in squeezing revenue from stocks of old, slow GPUs by coupling them with lots of cheap, slow RAM (and a flashy box)

I tried to find out which AMD GPUs support 4K video but according to wiki it looks like only the recent, high-end models do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

my recommended searches to score a decent nVidia card in the $40-or-less range would be:
    GTX 650
    GTX 660
    GTX 750
    GTX 950
    GeForce 640 GDDR5
    GeForce 740 GDDR5
    GeForce 730 GDDR5
    If memory serves, the 560 Ti uses GDDR5. I mentioned 2Gb cards mainly because someone in another forum they solved their 4k problem by upgrading the video ram from 1Gb to 2Gb. I doubt I could do that with this card.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    The power supply is a couple years old. I doubt I could RMA it now.

It sounds like a comparable GPU would cost me $60+, so I need to decide if I should buy that, or get a newer power supply; obviously not the $55 special on sale.
    PSUs usually have a 3-5 year warranty on the low end and 7-10 years on the high end. Even if it is not under warranty, it's still cheaper to invest in a new power supply than a new video card.

It's especially important to get that power supply out of the system if its so marginal that it rolls over and dies with just a video card added for a load. If you plan on upgrading the CPU as well, it'd also probably not work with the malfunctioning PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    PSUs usually have a 3-5 year warranty on the low end and 7-10 years on the high end. Even if it is not under warranty, it's still cheaper to invest in a new power supply than a new video card.

It's especially important to get that power supply out of the system if its so marginal that it rolls over and dies with just a video card added for a load. If you plan on upgrading the CPU as well, it'd also probably not work with the malfunctioning PSU.
    This echoes what I've been thinking. $20 PCIe cards might be useful in replacing motherboard chipsets, but not much else.

Been doing a little snooping around, and it appears my friend was more generous than I realized. A card with equivalent performance to the 560 Ti runs $150-$200 new.