Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vintage computer prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    MikeS,

Can you show me a link, or give me any information that explains how an adapter can be added to a KIM-1 to gain a video output ?
    There were a number of commercial video adapters as well as some hobbyist versions, both text only versions and also graphics, but I'm afraid I can't really recommend any; my expertise, such as it is, is with the AIM65. I'm sure a little Googling will come up with lots of results though.

There is an official app note to build a DIY video interface for the AIM but I prefer to just run it from a terminal over RS-232; if you're using a terminal emulator then you can also use it for loading and saving programs. That should also work with the KIM

I think you'll have lots of fun; there are several sites with documentation etc., e.g.
    http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/systems.htm
    (Rockwell section)

You can also get a FIG Forth on EPROM for the AIM as well as PL/M ( not sure what it was called ).
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    there are several sites with documentation etc., e.g.
    http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/systems.htm
    (Rockwell section)
    Wow, that site is a great resource. I should be able to use my SOL-20 as the Terminal and I'll be in vintage computer heaven !

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    You can also get a FIG Forth on EPROM for the AIM as well as PL/M ( not sure what it was called ).
    Dwight
    Thanks Dwight.

Yes, available languages in ROM were BASIC, FORTH, PL65 and a 2-pass assembler, and of course an excellent monitor program; there is also a version of PASCAL but it requires some expanded RAM in addition to the ROM.

One of the few drawbacks is the 4K max on-board memory on the original Rockwell versions; with up to 40K expanded memory and an 80x25 terminal it actually becomes a fairly decent (for the day) desktop computer.

Maybe we should start a new thread?

I did a Javascript emulator for the AIM65 many years ago. I think I got most of the ROM languages working. Does anyone want me to upload a copy to my google drive if I can find it? I have no time to make any fixes or development though...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    I did a Javascript emulator for the AIM65 many years ago. I think I got most of the ROM languages working. Does anyone want me to upload a copy to my google drive if I can find it? I have no time to make any fixes or development though...

Dave
    Of course! Sounds like fun to play with!

Blog Entries

I don't really understand why the KIM has gone up. There were tons of them made.. I think enough to go through what.. 6 or 7 revisions? Only one I consider to be truly collectible is the MOS-only badged one.

As for other stuff.. Lisa 1s and Apple 1s aside, I think values will fall off a cliff as people pass on and the equipment itself dies. Lot of vintage ICs out that have lived well beyond their intended lifespan.

I do share the sentiment that these things ought to be used. That's why I kind of scratch my head at collectors who will stockpile like 5 Sol-20s or 10+ Apple Lisas. It's not helping preserve them and they could be enjoyed by others.

I'm not so sure that the future of this equipment working is entirely "doomed", in either the medium or long term. I have many TTL chips working in equipment in my house with pre-1970 date codes. And many of those chips are plastic. I remember when TTL first came out the thought was that "moisture migration" up the legs of the chips would kill them (particularly plastic chips) in 30 years. Obviously, that wasn't entirely true.

In the "really" long term, I can envision "replacement chips" in 14,16,20 pin packages, that would be easily programmable to replace any TTL chip and then just drop in. I think that this could -almost- be done now, but it would be very expensive and not economically feasible for any big semiconductor house to do - yet. They would be programmed like some modern micros, where "high voltage" on a pin at start-up gets them into programming mode.

The real killers of these machines will be CRT's. Tremendous capital to set up a manufacturing line (particularly on color CRT's), and very little market, never mind environmental issues.

I follow the antique radios and television hobby . There are people watching TV (via converter) on 1940's TV sets and listening to radio on 100 year old equipment. But every time they turn that equipment on, some life on irreplaceable tubes is lost. Philosophically, SHOULD they use them? It's their property...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Philosophically, SHOULD they use them? It's their property...but...
    Why not use them? So they can save them to not use them later?

I understand the base point, but if they're not going to use them now so they can not use them later, to the point that they are just sculpture, may as well use and enjoy them while they have them. They can always be sculpture later.

Better they be made unusable from use than unusable from rot.