Image Map Image Map

Thread: One CQ62 Notebook out of two.

Blog Entries

Default One CQ62 Notebook out of two.

A week or so I was given two damaged HP Compaq CQ62 notebooks. One had a broken LCD panel, no ram no HDD. The second had a broken LCD panel. These systems came out in 2010 in various AMD cpu configurations. After a bit of thought I decided I would make a monitorless system out of the better parts of both, so began to mix and match and test. These are very easy to work on and well documented as are most HP systems. After a few days of tinkering in a very relaxed manner I was finally finished. I relocated the wireless nic antennae, microphone, web cam wiring and components from the monitor to inside the main body of the system. The CQ62s had no psu so went through my psu parts tray and found a DELL unit and a suitable psu to system adapter cable with the correct connections.

The system initially had Windows 7 on it which I reinstalled from the restor partion on the hdd then pulled it out to play with in future. I fitted a hdd I had installed Linux Mint Debain Edition 4 on it and fired it up LMDE4 booted up fine and detected all the hardware installed on the system.I'm very pleased with the out come. So much in fact I bought a used complete running system off our local auction site so have spares tor that The "new to me" system came with Windows 10 installed and original psu unit and adapter cable.

My first ever 64-bit system as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

They're good laptops when they work. I have one that had a Turion 64 x2 in it, it worked great for awhile but developed a fault on the motherboard and randomly shuts off. The screen is nothing to write home about, it has a pretty bad glare problem in bright areas.

Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give you mine so you can have a working screen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    They're good laptops when they work. I have one that had a Turion 64 x2 in it, it worked great for awhile but developed a fault on the motherboard and randomly shuts off. The screen is nothing to write home about, it has a pretty bad glare problem in bright areas.

Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give you mine so you can have a working screen.
    Cheers for the offer. I can get a new replacement LCD panel from Australia with a 3 year warranty. That is what I was going to do originally but then saw a complete system for around the same price decided to get that instead.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

I found that the warmer weather was causing my rig to shut down due to over heating. I solved that by raising the unit up a bit on some dense foam rubber strips. 1" in the froint and 1/2" at the back. I also added a 12v fan unit from out of a desktop PC I'd stripped in the past and connected the fan to a 12v wall wart I had in my spare psu bin and then fitted it in the DVD/DC part of the unit. Overheating problem solved. I turn the exra fan off when I don't need to use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Common issue on laptops is the heatsink gets blocked with dust. It can get so thick that it 100% blocks the exhaust with what looks like a sheet of dryer lint. Try blowing into the exhaust port with your mouth really hard or canned air and look for a cloud of crap to come out the intake.

Another issue is that the thermal paste used on the CPU is usually garbage and/or dry and hard as a rock and doesn't transfer heat well anymore.

In either case, it's best to disassemble the laptop and clean it thoroughly since sometimes the dust bunnies are too big to escape past the blower wheel. I've had to deal with many overheating laptops over the years and it's almost always dust blockages.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip. The fan grill is fine and inside it is as clean as you can get.. I've had it ti bits a few times mixing and matching until I had a serviceable running unit. The extra fan helps a lot on the warmer days. This'll be my main system for as log it and I keep healthy