Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booting IBM PC from vinyl

Blog Entries

There's a unit on eBay now for USD$350. I suppose one might call this the first floppy disk. According to the commentary, foldable, too--try that with your favorite 8" floppy.

Blog Entries

Plenty of people have managed to fold a floppy; it just doesn't work when unfolded. The magnetic coated paper Brush Mail-A-Disc which Timex licensed may have been easier to fold but probably suffers drop-outs at the fold rendering it unacceptable for computer data storage usage. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/brush_...k_503bk50.html indicates a recording time of 3 minutes which would not be enough to store a 64 kB disk image.

Blog Entries

Sure, but for nearly 70 year old technology, it was remarkable. Somewhere, there's a recording of the thing being used--it's not exactly high-fidelity. There was another system that used a grooved disk as well, but not foldable.

On the other hand, in 1953, how much core did the average mainframe have?

Hmm this devices look like that have external speaker. But when connected to cassette port - what it should be called in IBM 5150 computers era? Floppy cassette (Flopcas)? Audiofloppy disk (like VIdeo Floppy disk)? Audiodiskette?

That magnetic record bears an eerie resemblance to "3M Sound Page" system from the 1970's. (The latter is just "flipped"; the recording medium stays in one place while the recording head both moves inward and rotates in a spiral motion. I don't know how well that would take to having its pages folded, however...)

My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs